Chapter 43

Nancy's P.O.V

"Are you even listening to yourself?"

"Yes I am! Tory, I'm serious, you need to think about all I just said; what I discovered, how your life is in danger... Do you want to die young or what?" I question.

Tory sighs, placing his hands on the table in front of us. "Those things you saw on the internet are myths. Mr Anthony warned me about them and gave me the opportunity to not take the job if I wanted to. Now you tell me, if he were a ritualist, as you and the internet claims, will he do that?"

I narrow my eyes at him in disbelief. "So you're telling me that he gave you a chance to walk away and you open-eyed declined? What is wrong with you? I told you back then that if you needed anything, I'll gladly help. You didn't have to go running into danger!" I slap my forehead.

"For God's sake, what's all this? Okay, so what if it's true; we're just assuming it's true; and yes, he uses me for ritual, how does that concern you?" He asks.

I unconsciously raise my brows at him in respect to his question. "Well, I don't know... Maybe because at some point, you were beaten by Katherine and I had to see the bruise all over your face, and also cause you asked for help? Not to forget how you always made me laugh when you were still working at Perfects'. I don't know, Tory... It sure sounds to me like you're not a nobody."

Tory lets out another tired sigh, looking in the opposite direction before looking back at me. "What even made you go in search for this restaurant's history? Did you track me or what? Cause I find it really surprising and most definitely intruding that you show up again at my workplace trying to make me loose my job. I just want a life free from you, don't you get that? I appreciate your help. I'm not ungrateful, but with your clinginess..." He hesitates, as if rethinking his options. Then he shakes his head. "I just don't want it that way. Honestly."

"You want to know why your business concerns me? - Why're you're a concern to me? Do you really want to know?" I ask him quietly.

He looks at me intently before nodding slowly.

"It's because I have this... I have this urge to help people." I lie. It's definitely more than that, but I can't really explain what it is so why talk in circles about what I don't know yet and just plainly lie instead?

It's a white lie; nothing bad.

Right?

He cocks a brow. "Urge...to help people? Really? That's what you're going for? What does that even mean?"

I lick my lips, running my palm down my face. "Tory, you need to leave this place. It's giving me cringes even as I'm seated. Two days ago, I almost worshipped the ground, but now, the sight makes me want to throw up beca-"

"Two days ago? You were here...two days ago?" He interjects.

I nod. "Yes and I didn't see you. I thought you said you worked as a waiter. Don't you anymore?"

"Did you track me or you found it by accident?" He completely ignores what I said.

I roll my eyes. "Can you stop not listening to me? It's kind of annoying."

"It's just a quarter of what you do to me." He mutters.

I grimace. "Excuse me, Tory. Do you have a personal problem with me? I don't get you. Did Nina maybe act as me again and do something bad to you?" I just have to ask, cause his body language and attitude to me is quite insulting.

"No. She didn't do anything. I just want you to understand that I need space...away from you." He explains, starting to look around us, instead of me.