31 | MONSTER

❝ BUT MONSTER LIVES FOREVER ❞

No one welcomed ever visited the Lee Manor, so when the doorbell went off, Taeyong took his own sweet time striding to get the door

Contrary to popular belief, not all rich people had servants, butlers and chauffeurs. Well, it's not that Taeyong's family couldn't afford it, they could afford buying down half of Korea if they really wanted to, really, it's more of a they didn't want to. The ruling Lee family had serious trust issues and even more serious personal issues. Issues which should never be brought to light, nor anyone else's attention for the whole family's sake. Not that there were a great deal many family members left, actually.

Through the surveillance screens by the door, he noted the uniform the man was in before he allowed access through the gate. Pistol tucked securedly at his waistband under his favourite oversized hoodie, he nitpicked at his appearance before stepping out to greet the police officer.

Growing up, he'd learned the importance of image. Even if you were the dumb and good-for-nothing, people would still treat you nicely if you looked good and had good manners. That was how he had survived the turbulence of his childhood. Deemed stupid, deemed just a pretty face, he was overlooked and disregarded as any form of competition or threat. No one bothered him, no one set up ambushes for him, no one whipped him dead, which was great honestly. He enjoyed living this meaningless, unexpectedly dangerous and miserable life. He liked poking sleeping bears in the eye and running hard and fast for his life. He liked the short stolen moments of happiness and the aimless daily notions. He liked feeling the rush of excitement and race of his heart. It gave him satisfaction in ways he could probably not feel when he was well, dead.

"Hello," the police man waved a sweaty hand at him, stepping into the porch. "Are you Lee Sunmi's ward?"

Ward was a strange term to call someone who was actually her brother, but Taeyong had gotten used to this. His sister was technically his guardian anyway. Not factually incorrect.

The Lee boy cocked his head. "Yes, I am."

There was sympathy in the older man's eyes that irked Taeyong to no end. "Do you have any relatives living in the city, kid?"

Kid. The beautiful boy nearly laughed aloud at that. This kid had probably killed more men than your whole department, darling.

Taeyong lifted a shoulder up and back down fluidly, a motion so quick the policeman nearly missed it. "Plenty, I believe."

"You should contact one of them. I don't think your guardian would be returning so s-"

Amusement slid over his face like a curtain over windows. His eyes darkened devilishly and his lips curved. "I am more than capable of taking care of myself, good sir," he mused, highly entertained. "And as for my guardian," he crossed his arms, head still inclined, smiling a grin that sent shivers down the spine of the older man. There was just something about that smile that was unsettling and mocking in subtle unexplainable ways. "Don't worry yourself silly, she'll return home in no time."