Chapter 26 - Opera

After getting a plan together, we noticed Peter was spacing out, "Parker? Parker!" Fury yells.

He jumps and turns, "Yes, sir?"

"That thing's going to be here in a few hours. Are we boring you?"

"He's not bored, he's just thinking about how you kidnapped them." Quentin says.

"They had obstacles. I removed them."

"They still won't evacuate the city." Maria sighs.

"Idiots. So what's the plan, Parker?"

Peter nods, "Y/N and I will be in the cathedral tower keeping watch for the fire monster. When that shows up, I will radio you guys, and then Mr. Beck, Y/N, and I will-"

"My name is Mysterio." Quentin shoots Peter a playful look.

Peter chuckles under his breath. "That's when Mysterio, Y/N, and I will move in."

Quentin steps up to us, "Guys, listen to me. The best hope you have -- the only hope -- is to stop it here and now, no matter what the cost. Keep it away from civilians if you can, but, most important, keep it away from metal. If it gets too big, it'll be able to draw power from the Earth's core. After that, there's no way to stop it."

Peter looks at Fury, "Hey man, our friends are here....And I can't help but think we're putting them in danger-"

Fury stands up and walks over to Peter. "You're worried about us hurting your friends? You? Who called a drone strike on your own school tour bus? Stark gave you a multi-billion dollar AR tactical intelligence system and the first thing you do with it? Is try and blow up your friends. It's clear to me that you were not ready for this!"

Peter looks away, I grab him and create a portal, pulling Peter with me. We sit on the room and look out to the city. "We aren't ready for this Peter...we are kids." I nod. "And that's okay."

I turn as Quentin joins us. "Look, Fury asked me to come up here and see how you were doing. He just, he felt bad about snapping at you."

"Really?" Peter asks.

"You guys do have sarcasm on this Earth, right?" He sits down, "How you both feelin'?"

"I didn't think I was gonna have to save the world this summer. I know that makes me sound like such a jerk. I just... I had this plan..." He looks at me. "And...now it's all ruined."

"You're not a jerk for wanting a normal life, kid. It's a hard path. You see things, you do things... Make choices. People look up to you... Even if you win a battle sometimes, they die. I like you both. You're good kids. There's a part of me that wants me to tell you, just... turn around, run away from all this. And then, there's another part of me that knows what we're about to fight. What's at stake. And I'm glad you're here." He smiles at us.

"Me, too....But..." I sigh.

"You're worried about your friends."

"Yeah. I just always feel like I'm putting them in danger." Peter sighs.

"Look, just... Get them inside and keep them in a safe place, for just a few hours. It'll be all right."

"It's really nice... to have somebody to talk to about, superhero stuff, you know?" Peter smiles.

"Anytime. And hey... We survive this, you'll have all summer to kill Brad."

"Oh god." I laugh. We stand, "See you out there." I wave.

"Alright."

Peter jumps off the building and lands on the floor. An old couple takes notice and looks at him. "Scusi! Sorry, that's Italian..." he mumbles.

I change back to my clothes and wait in the lobby, "Good news. We're going to the opera!"

"The opera?"

"You're kidding me."

"Why?"

"Don't look at me." Mr. Dell shakes his head.

"What happened to the carnival?" Betty asks.

"Oh this is upgrade living, guys.

Ned nooks back at us, I nod at him. "Come on. The tour company just gave us these tickets. For free! Do you have any idea how much opera tickets cost?" Mr. Harrington asks.

"No, because none of us have ever wanted to go to the opera, ever." Flash says.

"Uh... well I think this is gonna be culturally enriching for us." Ned nods

Mr. Harrington points at Ned. "Thank you, Ned. Everyone, this is gonna be, maybe, the best four hours of our whole trip."

"Four hours?" Everyone says in shock.

"Guys, I think this is gonna be really fun. Seriously." Ned nods.

We all changed into our formal attire and were walking through the city, I had a really pretty red dress...but I wouldn't be wearing it for long. Instead I have to fight. "I bet now you're all happy I had you pack a nice outfit." Mr. Harrington smiles.

Flash rolls his eyes, "Yeah, because we'd much rather go to a four-hour opera instead of the biggest party in the world."

Mr. Dell puts his hands up, "Again, don't look at me."

"Strange, Parker, do you copy? Comm check, one, two." Maria says, we don't answer because Brad was looking at us suspiciously.

We walk inside the beautiful opera house, "Okay, here we are. Beat the rush."

"Yeah, the rush out." Mr. Dell nods.

"Lucky for us, we got the best seats in the house." The class begins walking toward their assigned seats, which are at the front of the theatre. "Let's go."

"Hey. I'll save you a seat." Brad smiles. I roll my eyes and turn to Peter.

"You look beautiful." He smiles.

"You look pretty handsome yourself." I smile as he kisses me.

Our kiss was interrupted by Betty, "Oh, my gosh! Opera glasses!"

"So cute." Ned smiles as they walk past.

Once they were gone Peter kisses me again, "Are you in position?"

Peter pulls away for a second, "No."

"Why the hell not? Parker? Strange?"

I pull away, "We're coming." I sigh. I look back at our friends and walk out of the theatre.

"Parker, Strange! You better be on your way."

Peter sighs, "Coming."