Chapter 4 - Journey

About a month later, Dad had taken me to Kathmandu, Nepal. He was told to come here...this was his last hope.

"Excuse me. Kamar-Taj?" Dad asks a man. "Do you know where Kamar-Taj is?0

We walk through the crowded city to see a sign that's said. "Himalayan Healing! Find Peace! Find Yourself!"

"Kamar-Taj?" Dad asks someone as we walk by. My eyes widen as three men surround us, "Guys, we...we don't have any money."

"Your watch." A man points.

"No, please. It's all I have left." Dad shakes his head.

"Your watch." He steps forward.

"Just give it up." I whisper.

"All right." Dad nods. Suddenly he punches the man, hunching in pain.

The men then start to punch and kick him. I swing my cane and hit one guy, back flipping and landing on my good foot as I punch another with my left hand.

I swing my cane again but scream in pain as I am kick in my bad foot.

As the guy takes dads watch, a man comes in and starts fighting them, making them run off. He hands dad his broken watch as I stand. "You're looking for Kamar-Taj?" He nods for us to follow.

Dad puts and arm around me and leads me through a crowd. "Really? Are you sure you got the right place? That one looks a little more...Kamar-Taj-y." Dad nods as we approach a door.

"I once stood in your place. And I, too, was... disrespectful. So might I offer you some advice Forget everything you think you know. I can tell she's already done that." He nods at me.

"Uh....alright."

"I'm sorry for him." I smile at the man as he opens the door for us.

"The sanctuary of our teacher, the Ancient One." He takes us down a hall.

"The Ancient One? What's his real name? Right. Forget everything I think I know. I'm sorry." We walk into a room, dad looks over at a man. "Thank you for... huh!" Two people take off his coat, then take off mine. "Okay, that's, uh... a thing...Thank you. Hello. Uh, thank you. And thank you." We are handed small cups. "Uh, thank you, Ancient One...for... seeing me..." the man walks off.

"You're very welcome." The woman pouring our tea smiles.

"The Ancient one." The man bows his head.

"Thank you, Master Mordo. Thank you, Master Hamir. Mr. Strange!" She smiles.

"Doctor, actually."

"Well, no. Not anymore, surely. Isn't that why you're here? You've undergone many procedures. Seven, right? And you've had your daughter..." She smiles at me. "Go through two."

"Yeah...it's Good tea." Dad whispers.

"Yes."

"Did you heal a man named Pangborn? A paralyzed man?" Dad asks.

"In a way." She pours tea.

"You helped him to walk again." Dad nods.

"Yes." She smiles.

"How do you correct a complete C7-C8 spinal cord injury?" Dad asks urgently.

"Oh, I didn't correct it. He couldn't walk; I convinced him that he could."

"You're not suggesting it was psychosomatic?" Dad narrows his eyes.

"When you reattach a severed nerve, is it you who heals it back together or the body?" She stirs the tea.