Chapter 19 - Fading

"The heck happened to this planet? It's eight degrees off its axis. Gravitational pull is all over the place." Quill looks around.

"Yeah, we got one advantage. He's coming to us. We'll use it. All right, I have a plan. Or at least the beginnings of one. It's pretty simple. We draw him in, pin him down, get what we need. Definitely don't wanna dance with this guy. We just want the gauntlet." Tony nods, his eyes narrow as Drax yawns. "Are you yawning? In the middle of this, while I'm breaking it down? Huh? Did you hear what I said?"

"I stopped listening after you said, We need a plan."

"Okay, Mr. Clean is on his own page." Tony points.

"See, not winging it isn't really what they do." Quill shrugs.

"Uh, what exactly is it that they do?" I ask.

"Kick names, take ass." Mantis smiles.

"Yeah, that's right." Drax agrees quietly.

"Alright, just get over here, please. Mr. Lord, can you get your folks to circle up?" Tony asks, rolling his eyes.

"Mr. Lord...." Quill chuckles, "Star-Lord is fine." He motions to Drax and Mantis.

Tony sighs. "We gotta coalesce. 'Cause if all we come at him with is a plucky attitude...."

Quill stops him, "Dude, don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means. Alright, we're optimistic, yes. I like your plan. Except it sucks, so let me do the plan, and that way it might be really good."

"Tell him about the dance-off to save the universe." Drax points.

Tony looks up, "What dance-off?"

"It's not a... it's not... it's nothing."

"Like in Footloose, the movie?" Peter asks, looking confused.

"Exactly like Footloose. Is it still the greatest movie in history?" Quill gets excited.

"It never was." Peter frowns, I cover my mouth to stop me from laughing.

"Don't encourage this, alright?" Tony points.

"Okay." Peter stands next to me.

"We're getting no help from Flash Gordon here."

"Flash Gordon? By the way, that's a compliment. Don't forget, I'm half human." Quill points at the three of us, "So that 50% of me that's stupid? That's 100% you."

"Your math is blowing my mind." I look at him weirdly.

"Excuse me, but... does your friend often do that?" Mantis points.

I turn to see dad is sitting cross-legged, floating slightly above the ground, his hands poised in a mystic gesture with the Time Stone glowing brightly in the Eye of Agamotto setting. Green vapor-like energy flows from the stone, and more intricate magical energy patterns circle Dad's forearms. The Cloak of Levitation flows behind him as if the Stone is creating a strong breeze. His eyes are closed, and his head is jerking rapidly from side to side, the motion blurring, but resembling looking for something.

"Strange, we alright?" Tony asks.

Dad snaps out of his trance and falls forward, letting out a cry.
I rush to him and help him sit back, "You're okay....it's okay." I nod, smiling as he looks up at me.

"Hey, what was that?" Peter joins us.

"I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict."