21 - Grieve

~ Talking To The Moon - Bruno Mars ~
❤︎❤︎❤︎

Her heart full of love but only for those above
-Elijah Chambers

I watch as Ashlyn wraps her hands around Eli's neck. Eli stares at me uncomfortably. "Umm Ashlyn," I mutter. She releases Eli from her grip and turns around to face me.

She flicks her blonde hair over her shoulder staring me down. "What?" She spits rudely. I look at Eli who has gone silent. Again.

"Umm, nothing. I'm going for a walk." I pick up my sweater and slide my bandaged arms through the sleeves.

"Well I'm not your mommy. Go ahead and leave." She rolls her eyes and looks back at Eli with a smile. Eli's eyes are on me but I don't say anything. I grab my phone and keys.

I open the door and look back wondering if he's going to do anything. He's looking at Ashlyn, letting her run her fresh acrylic nails down his chest.

I slam the door on my way out. I head straight out of my dorm and begin walking. As far as I could get at this point. It's times like this where I wish I had a car.

After fifteen minutes of walking I ran into a park. It's dark out considering the sun has already gone down. I climb the playscape until I reach the flat plastic part of it above the slide. The highest ground.

My phone starts ringing and I take it out of my pocket. Dad flashes across my screen. A speck of disappointment hits me when I realize it isn't Eli.

Then everything comes back to me. My grandma.

Eli helped me forget about it and temporarily replace the pain.

I answer the call. "Hi dad." I try to sound as cheerful as possible.

"Hey my little Riverboat," he says gently. I smile lightly knowing it's the nickname he used to call me when I was little.

"Not so little anymore dad," I mumble.

I hear him laugh through the other end. "That is true. How was your day? I know it's hard, I'm just checking on you." He does know it's hard. His parents died ten years ago in a plane crash. I only met them a few times before that.

I use the back of my thumb to wipe a tear. "It was good-ish. I cried and hung out with a friend who made me feel better," I admit. I wonder if I told him nice things about Eli without telling him it's Eli he'd eventually be nice to him.

"That's amazing. It only gets better from here now that you got it all out," he says. I definitely did get it out. I think I took it all out on Eli. "The funeral is tomorrow. Are you coming?"

Is that even a question? "Wouldn't miss it for the world. Hey, can I bring a friend?" Maybe I could invite Marcus or Ebony. "Of course. I would love to meet her," he says. Her. Can't boys and girls be friends too.

"River?!" I hear my name being called out.

I look down at Eli. The street light glowing over him. "I have to go dad," I quickly tell him. "Test tomorrow. My sleep alarm reminder is going off." I hear him sigh through the other end.

"River!" Eli shouts, looking around. I grab my keys and throw it at him. His reflexes are better than I thought. He dodges it and looks up at me.

I place my finger over my lips hoping he'll be silent. "What is that in the background?" Dad asks. I notice Eli as he begins climbing the playscape.

"Just Ashlyn. I have to go, bye dad. I love you," I tell him. "Love you too Riverboat. I text you the funeral details," he says.

"Okay, bye." I hung up just in time to see Eli climb up. He tosses me back my keys. "How's Ashlyn?" I ask. He rolls his eyes and sits down next to me.