sechs.

Rose's POV

As I got home and went to bed when I got a phone call at 3 in the morning.

"Hello?" I questioningly answered. If this was Erik I was going to murder him for calling this late at night.

"Yes hi, is this Rose Merkel?" A strange man answered, how'd he know my last name? People always thought I was the Chancellor's daughter or something so I never mentioned my last name but this man didn't seem to question it.

"Yes this is she, who is this?" I asked.

"Hi I'm an EMT at Sankt-Johannes-Hospital, it seems your friend Diana and her husband have been in a car crash, we'd like for you to come to the hospital right away." The EMT said as I hung up and gathered my stuff and started my car on the way to the hospital.

On the way there I couldn't stop thinking whether they were okay or not. I also couldn't stop thinking about Lena, she's so small and fragile I hope she was okay.

Once I finally got to the hospital, I went straight to the emergency room and the first person I saw was Marcel sitting as he had been crying.

"How are they doing?" I quietly asked as I sat next to him.

"They haven't said anything" Marcel said while looking straight ahead at the wall.

I sat there quietly for about 10 minutes until Marco's parents and sisters arrived with Lena. "How are they guys?" Marco's dad asked while holding Lena while Erik arrived running right behind them.

"They haven't told us anything, we've been waiting for about 20 minutes" I said as Erik spoke up.

"What do you mean they haven't told you anything?! They have us all worried sick without saying anything! Let me find a nurse, excuse me nurse!" Erik spoke loudly as he saw a nurse passing by.

"Hi, our friends were in a car crash and they haven't told us anything" Erik told the nurse. "What is their names?" The nurse asked as she walked to her computer and we all followed behind.

"Diana and Marco Reus" Erik said to her as she wrote their names in the computer. "Ah well yes it seems that they are in surgery as we speak, I will let you know when they're out" the nurse replied.

As we waited for them, the doctor came out with a clipboard in his hand as we all stood up while I was holding Lena whilst she slept.

"Reus family?" The doctor called out as he saw we were already stood up.

"Yes?.." Marco's dad asked with the biggest worry on his face.

"I am very sorry to inform you guys that neither Marco or Diana survived the surgery. They were fighting but their bodies couldn't handle it, I am deeply sorry." The doctor said as Marco's dad started to burst out into tears and kneed to the floor and Marco's mother started to cry with him.

"No, no! This can't be doctor, they had a child!" Erik screamed out as he pointed at Lena while I was holding her. "I am deeply sorry for your loss, you can come visit them right now before we call the funeral home" the doctor said as he walked away as soon as Erik threw the clipboard to the wall causing the clipboard to break in half while the rest of the hospital staff stared.

Erik stood there in shock before he realized what had happened and started to cry and Marco's sisters hugged him and cried with him. Marcel sat with his back against the wall with his head down but you could hear him crying. Lena woke up crying and I took her to another floor and I couldn't help to start cry while she fell back asleep as I rocked her back and forth and sat down.

I started to hear someone say my name as I looked up to see Erik with his puffy eyes and even redder cheeks. "I'm so sorry Rose, I knew how much Diana meant to you." Erik said. "I'm sorry as well, Marco was your best friend." I said back whilst sniffling.

"And he always will be" Erik replied while looking up.

"What is going to happen to Lena?" He asked while looking at her peacefully sleeping. "I don't know" I replied as I looked up at Marcel walking toward us.

"Hey guys doctor asked if you wanted to go see the bodies.." Marcel asked awkwardly.

"Sure bro, thanks" Erik said. "Wait but I can't take Lena in there, that's horrible" I told Erik and Marcel.

"Marco's parents already went in so you can just hand Lena to them" Marcel said.

As we walked in I started to cry even more at the sight of them just there sleeping, never being able to wake up again. Erik noticed I was crying and started to hug me as I cried into his shoulder.

"I'm going out, I can't do this" Erik said as we walked out and Marcel followed behind. "I wasn't ready to say goodbye, Rose." Erik said as his voice cracked. "Neither was I, Erik. None of us were." I replied.

-

It was now 9 am and we had all barely slept, we took turns watching Lena so I had only slept about an hour. I woke up and felt like this was all a dream but it wasn't. It was a nightmare I'll never be able to escape. Marco and Diana would never get to see their child grow up. I would never get to see my best friends ever again. They didn't deserve this. The man or woman who crashed into them will suffer greatly for killing innocent people.

Marco and Diana's bodies had been picked up from the hospital and were now at the morgue. Marco's dad told us a lawyer wanted to talk to Erik and I, which was strange.

Erik and I drove out to the lawyer's office, it was about ten minutes away from the hospital.

"Erik Durm and Rose Merkel?" The lawyer called out as Erik and I stood up. "Come right in guys" the lawyer said.

"First of all, I'm greatly sorry for the loss of your two friends and which is why I had to have you two called over stating Marco and Diana's will" the lawyer said.

"What about it?" Erik asked curiously.

"Did Diana and Marco speak to you about who should care for their child in the unlikely event that they both should die?" The lawyer asked.

"No.." We both curiously answered.

"Well they picked you" the lawyer said.

"Wait I'm sorry do you mean the both of us??" I asked as Erik muttered something similar.

"Yes, they have chosen you two to care of Lena if an event like this happened" the lawyer stated.

"But what about Marco's parents? They're fit enough to care of Lena" Erik said.

"Yes, but Marco stated in his will to not send Lena to his parents since they are getting older and wouldn't be as fit to run all over to take care of her" The lawyer stated.

"Are there any other choices on who could raise her? I'm a professional footballer and Rose owns a shop!" Erik said. "I can take care of her by myself" I muttered.

"Well if it's not you guys taking care of her than Lena will have to go back to America and be placed in a orphanage since she was born in America" The lawyer said.

"No, no! we can do it." Erik said sighing. "Lena doesn't deserve that with what already happened."

"Great! Then if you two agree to take care of her then I can just make you sign you the rights to Lena's guardianship and you guys can move into their old home or sell the home since that will also be in your name" the lawyer said.

Soon after we signed the rights to Lena and the house, we left and went over to Marco and Diana's old house to see Marco's parents there. "The lawyer told us everything, are you sure you can do it?" Marco's mom asked.

"Of course, I love Lena and how hard can it be, right Rose?" Erik asked he walked over to us and he tripped on Lena's toy as we all chuckled.

"Don't leave Lena alone with him" Marco's dad said jokingly trying to lighten the mood from this hectic day.

-

(A/N: Hallooo guys, sorry for the sad chapter. It was bound to happen 😢 btw the song on top kind of goes with the chapter mood lol. Also thank you guys for commenting and voting 😊 and ily guys for helping hit 2k reads! love you guys x )