Chapter 13

Chapter 13

We followed the unknown scent all hours of the night. It weaved back and forth through trees and tall grass-- like they were trying to make us follow it. I suggested that to Edward, but he said that would never happen. That most vampires aren’t skilled enough to do that.

But the scent kept going strong. It crossed into the Quileute territory, so we had to call in the wolf pack to take it further.

“Nessie’s awake.” Edward said. Nobody had spoken since we were back at the house; it sounded odd to hear a voice again.

We all ran back to the house.

I went up to my daughters room to check on her. “Nessie?” I whispered at the open door.

“Mommy?” She giggled.

I sighed, then smiled. “Why are you awake?” I asked.

“I had a nightmare.” She said, pouting out her lower lip.

“Oh, wanna talk about it?” I asked, sitting on the edge of her bed.

“No.” She said.

“Why not?”

“No.” She repeated stubbornly.

“Okay then.” I guess I’ve been defeated. I laughed quietly. “Goodnight, honey.” I said.

She yawned and curled up to sleep. “Night momma.”

“Bella.” Carlisle said once I came back downstairs.

“Yes?”

“What is your opinion, of this situation?” He asked, his composure calm.

I came and sat next to Edward. “Well, I think that whoever was here, wanted us to follow them. Like a distraction.” I stated.

He thought about that. “Can you clarify that?”

I nodded. “Well they were rubbing on the trees, making sure their scent was strong. How could that be an accident?”

He rubbed the back of his neck with his palm. “Do you have a guess at who it is?”

I shook my head. “No. But I think whoever is doing this used them to distract us, to get us away so they could…”

“So they could what?” Emmett asked, impatient.

“That’s what I’m wondering.” I said.

Rosalie groaned. “This is all stupid. We’re not being targeted! This is all stupid!” She left the room and went upstairs.

Emmett sighed. “I’ll calm her down.” He left after Rose.

“We need to do something about this. Fast.” Jasper said, his voice rough.

Alice spoke up, in her delicate voice. “But what if Rose is right? What if we’re just overreacting?”

“Then what’s the story behind the beach and the log, and Autumn, and Rosalie?” Edward asked.

“Well the beach was on the wolves ground. That doesn’t really affect us. And Autumn? That’s in Denali, and besides, she’s a newborn, so that doesn’t affect us either. And Rose, well, I personally think she was overreacting.”

I wasn’t overreacting!” Rose screamed, suddenly at the foot of the stairs. “I DID hear that in my head!” She rose a fist in the air, furious.

“Rose, calm.” Carlisle tried to sooth her.

You are the ones that need to be calm!” With that, she grabbed a leg of a wooden chair and threw it, aimed at Alice.

Alice dodged it. “EMMETT!” She screamed.

Emmett came booming downstairs, and restrained Rosalie. Rose calmed at Emmett’s touch visibly.

“Take her away, until she calms.” Carlisle said, amazingly still calm.

“This is going way too far.” I whispered.