21 - Nature Vs. Nuture

Lexi starred at the ceiling with her head brace restricting her movement. Amanda, Daniel, and Miguel were around her.

"Sweetheart...Sam and Tory got sent to juvie. Sam will be in for about 4 months, Tory for 2 months." Amanda said. "Okay..." She struggled to say. Amanda started going through the gifts.

"This is from your pale friend. Demetri, is it? He said the plastic isn't UV resistant, so don't leave it near the window." She said. Lexi scoffed, Miguel chuckled at that. "And that basket is from me, my mom, and Yaya." Miguel said. She smiled.

Lexi breathed out. "Oh.." She muttered. "What is it, Lexi? What do you need?" Amanda asked. "Oh..." She said. "Water?" Amanda asked. "Where's Sensei?" Lexi asked. "I'll call him, babe. Okay?" He say. She nodded. Miguel stood up and walked out with his cruches.

-Later-

Lexi and Miguel sat in the room, Miguel next to her on her bed. They were watching The Office. The door opened and Johnny walked in. "Hey, Kid." He said, walking over to her. "Hey." She muttered.

"How you feeling?" He asked. "Better now that my friends and family are here." She said. "When do you get the brace off?" He asked. "Tomorrow I think." She said. "Great."

-Later-

Lexi laid on her bed as the doctor checked her arms and legs. Miguel was next to her, and on the other side was Carmen and Amanda.

The doctor moved her arm up and down. "You're progressing nicely. How does this feel?" He asked. "Yeah." She said. "Yeah? What about this?" The doctor asked, moving her fingers. Carmen grabbed a fork and fed her a price of food that Rosa had made.

The doctor lifted up the blankets to look at her feet. The doctor started moving her foot in a circle. "How about this?" He asked. She couldn't feel a thing. "No." She said, looking worriedly up at Miguel.

The doctor took out a pen and tapped her toes. Still nothing. "How about this?" He asked. "No." She said. He covered her feet back up with the blankets. "That's...that's okay." He said.

"You said the scans were okay, right?" Amanda asked. "Yes. Yes." He said. "Am I gonna be able to do karate again?" Lexi asked. The doctor chuckled. "One day at a time. I'm gonna borrow your mom for a second, okay?" Lexi nodded and Amanda followed the doctor outside.

"Miggy, I couldn't feel anything." Lexi said. Lexi started to cry as she saw her mom cry through the window. Miguel got onto the bed and wrapped his arms around her tightly. Carmen kissed her head. "I'm sure everything will be fine, honey." She said.

-later-

Hawk walked into Lexi's room. "Hey, Lex." He said. "Hey." She said, looking down. "Hawk, I'm paralyzed." She said. "No...they can't know that, Lex. They don't know how strong you are." He said.

"Hawk, I fell off a railing, I'm not gonna be myself for a very long time." She said. He hugged her. "You'll be okay, Lex. Okay?" She shook her head. "I won't Hawk. Stop giving yourself false hope. I nearly died. I'm not gonna be my perky, happy self for a while, Hawk." She said.

He hugged her again.