chapter thirty-four

Bea felt her stomach lurch as she was thrown out of the van. Quickly, she stumbled to her feet, not wanting to show a sign of weakness to her kidnappers. Once she had gathered her bearing, the sound of Jorge yelling was the only thing that could be heard.

"Where is she?"

The old man had thrown one of the army members onto the floor before repeatedly attacking them with punches.

"Oh shit," Thomas mumbled, moving forwards along with Bea in attempt to stop the fight. Beside them, Brenda was shouting Jorge's name but he was unable to here her.

As soon as Thomas and Bea moved, the army members reacted, thinking they were going to be attacked next. They barricade them, shoving him backwards.

"Jorge I'm here!"

The Spanish man froze, lowering his fist that was about to attack the army man again. He twisted his head to the side, a wave of relief washing over him as he saw Brenda. He stood to his feet as the group subconsciously moved closer together.

"Everyone relax. We're all on the same side here," another army member said authoritatively, attempting to calm the rowdy group.

"Hey, what do you mean same side?" Thomas snapped, shoving off another man who was holding him. "Who the hell are you?"

The army man paused, tilting his head to the side, pausing for a few seconds before taking his mask off and revealing his face. "Hey Greenie?"

What's a Greenie? A vegetable? Is he calling Thomas a vegetable?

Thomas was in pure shock, his lips slowly parted as he took a few steps forwards, staring at the man in awe. "Ga-Gally?" he whispered, his voice almost inaudible. On either side of Bea, Newt and Fry were glancing at each other in confusion.

"Oh man..." she heard Fry quietly trail off, shaking his head in disbelief. Bea frowned in confusion, the same expression also appearing on Jorge and Brenda's faces.

In a split second, Thomas leapt forwards, sending Gally flying to the ground. He began continuously throwing punches at Gally's face seemed to have been expecting it. The army men lunged forwards, cocking their guns at the brunette boy. Bea's eyes widened in shock, ready to detach her brother from the boy when Newt stepped in.

What the hell is Thomas doing? How is that idiot my brother?

The blonde boy rushed forwards, kneeling beside Thomas. "Hey, hey, hey. Woah-stop. Stop it. Stop." Thomas refrained from punching Gally again as he let out a shaky breath through seethed teeth.

"He-He killed Chuck," Thomas barely managed to breath out as his whole body shook with rage.

Oh. Maybe Thomas should be punching him.

"I-I know," Newt responded, holding his hand on Thomas' shoulder with caution, "I remember. I was there too. And I also remember he was stung and half out of his mind."

Newt sighed, glancing around at the armed army members before returning his eyes back to Thomas. "Just calm down. Alright?"

Thomas paused for a few seconds before jumping back with a force, causing another man to stumble to the side who had tried to hold onto him. Bea sidled over to her brother, placing a hand on his arm. "Hey. You okay?"

He just swallowed a lump in his throat, nodding slightly. Bea let out an exhale, knowing that he was lying but not wanting to push him. Gally slowly got up from the floor, dusting his clothes before staring back at the brunette boy.

He moved his mouth around, his hand placed on a part of his jaw that Thomas had attacked. "Kinda had that coming." Sighing, he glanced around at the rest of the group. "Anyone else? Fry? Newt?"