chapter twenty-five

(three months and three weeks in)

Bea finished another cup of the alcoholic drink, feeling the beverage burn the back of her throat in every sip. A few weeks ago Fry had made a moonshine that was his friend's recipe which was apparently very popular amongst the boys in his maze. Bea had tried it, taking an instant liking to it and there was not one day where she didn't have it. The drink gave her a buzzing sensation, where it felt like she was almost floating; it made her feel free.

She hummed a tune to herself, spinning around on the spinny chair in the planning room. This room was inevitably becoming her favourite place; people were less likely to worry her, she was less likely to be asked to do other jobs and she could be by herself. She enjoyed her own company but being drunk elevated it.

Reaching over the table she grabbed her sandwich, which had been lying on a plate for ages. Thomas had given it to her a couple hours ago, insisting that she would eat something. Bea being Bea, she reassured him that she would but ended up getting caught up in work.

"Bea?'

"I'm in here!" the brunette girl responded with a muffled voice. Bea swallowed her mouthful of food, brushing the sandwich crumbs off her lips as Brenda strolled into the planning room.

"You're only having your lunch now?" Brenda laughed, raising an eyebrow.

Bea shrugged, pouring herself a third cup of moonshine before taking a swig, "It will probably help with the hangover tomorrow."

"Have you found the frequency yet?" the short-haired girl asked, swinging a chair, placing it backwards before plopping herself down on it.

"Nope. But I have found this funny music station," Bea smirked, adjusting the tuner. A few seconds later, a country song began playing from the speaker.

"But baby, I love you," Bea mocked the lyrics, placing her hand dramatically on her forehead.

"What is this moonshine doing to you? Do I need to take it away?" Brenda snorted.

"Ohhhh, and baby, I know you love me too," Bea continued, swaying her arms in the air, ignoring Brenda's words

"Y'know I really like your hair. It looks really nice at this length. Hot. I mean not that it didn't look good before-wait. There's another channel. Let me find it. It's gold - trust me," Bea rambled on, her words slightly slurred as she leaning down to adjust the tuner once again. She tilted the knob the left, her arm resting on the table. Chewing on her lip, she pressed down on a few of the buttons until she found the right station.

"Aha! Here it is," Bea grinned triumphantly as a rock song sounded from the speaker. She started dancing round the table, humming along to the melody as she didn't know the lyrics. Brenda stifled a laugh as she watched her friend manically dance around the room.

Bea slid onto her knees, closing her eyes as she played the air guitar in time with the electric guitar in the song. She was too caught up that she didn't even realise Harriet had entered the room.

"I thought I heard something. What the hell is going on here?"

The dancing girl carried on nodding along to the song even though she was beginning to feel a dizziness in her head. Her eyes snapped open when the music came to an abrupt stop.

"Wha-oh hi Harriet. Wait- hey!" Bea sulked, pouting a tiny bit, "Turn it back on."

"Nope," Harriet responded, accentuating the 'p'. Bea huffed, reaching for her beverage which Brenda swiped away almost immediately. The two girls stared at a drunken Bea who was grumbling to herself.