chapter seventeen

It's safe to say Bea wasn't tired anymore. In fact she was the opposite, For once in her life she felt alive.

Bertha wasn't a who but a what. Bertha was a car Marcus owned and Bea seeing him choke up about a car brought her an immense amount of joy.

She was now sitting in the trailer of the car with Minho and Teresa. Newt had immediately called shotgun when he saw the immaculate four wheeled drive. Minho and Bea had called dibs on the trailer and the rest of the group had already gotten in the car except Teresa meaning she was in the back with Bea and Minho.

A grin was plastered on Bea's face as the city appeared smaller and smaller in her view. The rumble of the car driving forwards (backwards for her) caused small vibrations to shoot through her body. Blustery winds blew brunette strands of hair into her face which had to be brushed away every so often - not that she minded. The azure blue sky was virtually cloudless, making no cover for the scorching sun. She gaped at the tall mountain peaks, the ground rocky and sandy, no spec of green in sight. The mountains were rugged and curved - looking almost artificial.

Sighing, she let the cool, crisp air float inside her nose and out through her mouth. Glancing to the right she saw Teresa was mindlessly picking at her shoelaces, her dark curly brown hair blowing from the wind. Bea darted her eyes to the left to see Minho lying peacefully; his arms were folded across his chest, his head was resting on the edge of the barrier and his eyes were closed.

Feeling bored, she kicked his foot with her own, causing the boy to glare at her annoyingly. She just merely shrugged, a smirk creeping onto her lips.

"What do you want?" he grumbled, like a little boy annoyed at his older sister.

"I'm bored," she sighed dramatically, crossing one of her legs over the other.

"And that involves me how...?" he trailed off, looking unamused.

"Because we're friends," she said in a 'duh' tone, "It's part of the Friends Contract."

"I don't remember signing this," he mused.

"It's hypothetical idiot," she scoffed, kicking his foot to which he kicked hers' back. She narrowed her eyes, kicking him again to which he returned the gesture again causing them to start a foot battle. Although, Minho kicked her foot a little too hard one time causing it to knock into Teresa's knee. Minho and Bea immediately locked eyes, their eyebrows raised.

"Sorry!" they said simultaneously, however the other girl didn't seem to mind.

"Let's play a game," Bea said to Minho.

"What are you, two?" he responded, rolling his eyes at her.

"No I'm just trying to pass the time," she retorted causing the two to start bickering again.

"You're annoying."

"Well you're more annoying," Bea retaliated.

"Out of all the people on earth you are the most annoying."

"Well out of all of the humans and aliens in space you are the most annoying."

"Are not!"

"Are too!"

After a few minutes Teresa had had enough of them. "Will you two just cut it out already?"

Minho and Bea glanced at Teresa to see she was now incredibly annoyed and didn't seem like she was in the mood to talk to anyone. Bea knew there was something clearly still on her mind. Minho and Bea mumbled a 'sorry' before slouching back into their previous positions. From that moment, the mood completely changed; it was lively and fun and but now it was dull and dry.

---

"It's a dead end."

Great.

Bea sighed, hopping out of the trailer, followed by Minho and Teresa. She peered round the front with the rest of the group to see a line of old rundown cars parked, heading into a tunnel.

"Well," Jorge said, who was standing at the front of the group, "I guess we're on foot." Bea looked to the left to see Brenda was now extremely pale and her lips were quivering. Frowning, she followed the group who had already started walking, not thinking much of it.

They weaved in and out of cars, all with curious looks on their faces. The sound of a crow chirping rang in Bea's ears as she peered inside a window to see a dusty blanket and a picture of a little girl and her dad. She couldn't even remember her own dad.

She walked over to Jorge who was rummaging through an open trunk. Thick layers of dust flew into her face causing her to cough and squirm. Jorge immediately closed the trunk and gave Bea an apologetic smile as they carried on walking.

Damn these cars must have been here for decades.

Her eyes trailed over to Thomas who was tracing his fingers over a small hole in the windshield of a car. A bullet-shaped hole. All of a sudden, the sound of bullets being fired erupted in their ears.

"Get down!"

"Take cover!"

Bea's heart raced as she immediately grabbed Thomas' arm, pulling him behind a car to hide. Jorge appeared next to her in seconds and she could see Newt and Minho behind the car next to them. After a few seconds of loud silence, the shooting stopped.

"Hey is everyone okay?" Thomas yelled out.

"We're fine!" Teresa called back loudly.

"Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt asked, his British accent striking through. Jorge gasped, pulling off his brown leather gloves.

"That son of a bitch Marcus," he muttered to himself, "He lead us into an ambush." Bea cursed under her breath as Jorge speedily unzipped his duffle bag. Thomas slowly turned around, raising his head above the car to see if he could spot anyone.

"Get down," Bea hissed, "The shooters might see you!

"It's fine I'm just going to look-"

He was cut off by the sound of more bullets being fired - this time one barely missing his bead. Bea pulled him back down to see the boy had an alarmed look on his face. She glared at him in a judgemental way, having saved his life again.

The bullets kept firing so Bea, Thomas and Jorge slid down the car further, knowing the bullets could easily break through glass.

"What do we do?" Thomas asked Jorge in a panicked tone, his eyes darting from left to right.

"Hold this," Jorge said after a few seconds, passing Thomas a device he had been fumbling around with.

"We gotta create a diversion," he explained, "Get ready to chuck it." He switched on another device, a high pitched ringing noise coming from it.

"Everybody," he shouted out, "Get ready to sprint back to the truck." He turned around, along with Bea and Thomas so they were facing the car they were hiding behind.

"And hold your ears!" he advised.

"Ready?" he whispered to Thomas, to which he nodded.

"One," he said, his finger hovering over the red button on his device, "Two-"

He was cut off by a gun loading precisely a metre away from them.

"Drop it."

authors note:
another one of my shortest chapters ever rip :/ but the next one is good ah im sorry okay bye

Love K :) xx