Thirty | Violet

My sisters and I watched the sunrise paint the city orange and pink from the stage within the arena, lying on our backs on the long strip. We'd never done that before. Just lay together and watch it form and I couldn't understand why. It was so beautiful. We spent quality time together the past few weeks, mending the relationship I severed. We bonded with each song written together, movie nights with popcorn fights, late-night practices that turned into goof-offs with the dancers and crew, silly photoshoots, and derailing-ly-fun interviews. I believe our relationship came out stronger than ever before. I may still had stuff to figure out, but I felt wonderful. Though my emotions stayed constantly at war with my head, I held confidence it would all work out. Everything's euphoric in this blissful, calm moment.

"This is amazing. When was the last time we did this? Ever?" Dallas said, gazing at the sky with Selena and I.

"Not that I can remember," I said.

"Good. Means we're still discovering new things to experience together," Selena said.

I turned my head to her and smiled. "Agreed."

"I missed doing things like this. It's nice to have you around again Violet," Dallas said, reaching for my hand and squeezing it. "I can never say it enough."

I squeezed back. "Thanks. I just wish I could enjoy this moment more if my mind wasn't so all-over-the-place."

"Because of the media gossip about you and Shane and those pictures that broke out?"

I nodded.

"It's so disgusting," Selena said shaking her head, her expression seemingly like someone just showed her toe-fungus. "That people would even want you guys back together without knowing any of the details. The Truth. Just because, on an attractive scale, you guys look 'cute' together." She air-quoted and everything.

I chuckled at her mannerisms. "Yeah. The media has never made sense, has it? And I can't believe paparazzi hid in a bush just to get whatever pictures they could and twist it into such a soap opera. Well, actually, I can believe it. But you know what I mean."

"Have you talked to Shane at all since his little spiel?" Dallas asked.

I shook my head. "Nope. I'm trying to avoid it. It's literally the last thing I want to deal with at the moment."

"I mean, that's understandable, but you have to address it."

"I don't have to, technically. After our opening performance Monday night, they'll be outta here faster than we can say sucker," I said all smugly, "and I can just ignore his culo. He'll get the hint then."

"I guess that's a way."

"So. . . how are you and Preston doing?" I asked.

"We're good! We talk every day. It's hard obviously, but I don't know. Something about him makes this whole long-distance-thing worth it," she said with a giant smile and an excited shrug.

"That's so great, Dallas. I'm so happy for you guys!" I said, throwing on a smile for her.

I thought about Tanner and the guys every day. Surprisingly Tanner wasn't the only person I missed. I mean, he's the person I missed the most, but generally the guys were really fun to be around. And the most surprising of all? I actually missed being in Alabama. The atmosphere, the people, the feeling of being a normal person for once, feeling like the non-famous girl I was before leaving there for eleven years.