Twelve | Violet

I burned my mouth on the scorching-hot, orange-peel tea Dallas brewed for me as I sat silently on the couch, wrapped in a soft decor blanket.

"Violet, are you alright? Do you need anything?" Selena asked from the kitchen.

I placed my tea on the table and sniffled. "You guys, stop waiting on me like I'm dying. I'm seriously fine."

Dallas came around the bar and stared at me in disbelief, jaw dropped. "Are you kidding me? You're 'fine' is all you can say after your face looks like you've just come from an episode of Lost?"

"Okay, so maybe I'm just un poco on the edge." I said, admittingly.

Selena plopped down next to me and forced me into another hug. I hugged her back this time. "Violet, just so you know, we really, honest to god, didn't tell Tanner a thing."

She stared me in the eyes, creepily, that's how I knew that she told the truth. "I know."

"How do you know?" Dallas asked. We peered at her, and she blushed. "Other than that, it's the truth."

I laughed. "You're my sisters. I know when you're lying, and you guys aren't."

They nodded simultaneously, thankful that my senses returned.

"Well, I'm so very sleepy. So, I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning," I said.

"What about dinner?" Dallas asked.

"Not hungry."

"Oh. Sleep well then," Selena said, her spirits crushed but still aiming to stay cheerful.

I shuffled to my room and saw all the forgotten shopping bags. I scooped one bag full of stuff I bought for them and brought it out. "By the way, I got these for you guys when I went shopping. I hope you like 'em." I threw it to the wolves, turned off my lights, and crashed onto my bed like embracing a giant wave.

I shoved my bags off the edge and covered my face in Tanner's jacket. His jacket was five times bigger than I was and it smelled like him. Like a dense forest with a spruce of cologne. The perfect amount that didn't give me a headache or the feeling that I just bathed in it. It smelt expensive and the jacket felt oven-warm before the set temperature. I loved it. I hated that I loved it.

Even though he seemed mysteriously way more interested in my business than he should be, I took into account that he appeared genuinely sorry about the whole ordeal. I just wanted to know why. Maybe he is a crazy stalker and that's why he won't tell me why. I figured a step in the right direction was to at least forgive him as long as he didn't do it again. I should have been nicer to him though. At least just a smidge nicer.

I laid in bed, thinking. Something always dangerous for me to do. Those glowing, inviting, caramel eyes. Tall and stocky. His strangely soft hands that played such a rough sport. Football players have calluses, so where are they? His nails kept clean and clipped neatly. It showed care, pride, professionalism. The freckles. The perfect number of dots to play with on a lazy day. The kind you had to be close to to see them. Right above that smile. I smiled. Okay, Violet, tightened up. No boys policy, remember? That you made to yourself? He has a girlfriend anyway. You're not that kind of girl. But that Mary girl, she's a lucky one.

*≈*∞*≈*

- 10 days until LSU kickoff -

I shot straight up from my bed in fear. Lights everywhere, exorcising the sleep demon out of me.

"Holy crap, are you okay?" Selena asked.