𝓓.𝓲.𝓽.𝓓 ▰Chapter 39▰

▰ARIEL'S POV▰

It's an unexpected surprise. While Alyssa has decided to welcome in the Zenith's to the Black Lair with me – I don't get what I expect.

Dale, Serge, Ace and Jose are just inside pacing up and down, trying to remain calm – already passing around whiskey within the closed club.

And out of a taxi pulling up, is the surprise.

It's not the Zenith Alphas – at least, not all of them.

I pale a little as the taxi halts up, the door swings open and Wade jumps out, bloody hands quickly shoved in his pockets when he notices my mother leaning against the wall close by, observing the reunion.

"Wade," I murmur as he tries to keep in a smile, "...where are the others?"

"Lost a bet, but mostly – it's respectful to have one show, and I'm the father so," Wade shrugs a shoulder and glances at Alyssa awkwardly as she swiftly steps forward to intervene.

"Mum, please be nice," I beg her with a whisper while she instantly goes for his wrist, clasping it and pulling his hand out of his pocket to glance at the blood on his knuckles, staining in blotches.

"You're a violent man," Alyssa states, ice cold as she doesn't blink taking in Wade's strong stare, "Are you aware who I am – and I'm not talking about being the ex-President?"

"I have a full record on military information for who you are," Wade admits, "I know you'll never trust me, but you can take my word seriously when it comes to my loyalty. My eyes are all for Ariel. Her safety is of course my top priority. My brothers in arms are grateful for the opportunity to settle in this shit hole – because there's opportunity for our individual growth. I'm no longer bound to Andromeda. My instincts rule me now. It's not a bad thing. I'm a nice guy. With her at least."

"Hmmm," I can't help but hum my doubt, while Alyssa still doesn't lighten with Wade's half-attempt at a handsome smile.

"Will you kill for her, and die for my baby?" Alyssa inquires, dead serious.

"The whole world will burn before she's hurt, ma'am," Wade steps closer toward me, and I nearly die when Alyssa reaches up for his throat and almost rips his damn neck off.

Wade freezes as my mother's nails bury a tiny bit in to draw enough blood.

Wade doesn't move.

"Listen to me. You can come inside our home," Alyssa speaks sweetly, "If you kneel and then you crawl to the Lord of the Underworld, then stand up, and vow allegiance to STRIKE, dedicating your life to our service as an ally. We're a rouge Old World city, we don't follow New World orders. You're not free in this city, as much as you're a potential target to Atlantis, who will observe you and perhaps use you against us. You don't rule these shadows. You'll need to choose a side."

"How about I vow to you, Alyssa. Anything you want, how about that?" Wade pulls out of her claws and growls low, "You can hire me as personal security if you want."

"Step off the property and decide – with what I told you."

"I'll never crawl, ma'am," Wade is trying his best not to yell his head off, and he just sounds fake as fuck.

I look at my mum carefully and she's not playing around.

Wade humours her by stepping off the side walk into the gutter to pretend to think.

"I'll be inside, sweety," Alyssa smiles at me and walks in comfortably, while Wade shoves his hands into his pockets again and waits for us to have momentary privacy.