𝓓.𝓲.𝓽.𝓓 ▰Chapter 35▰

▰ALYSSA'S POV▰

Avalon was a city run by REIGN, Kane was the head, Clarence his second, Miles and Earl also a part of the gang. As robotic replicas of STRIKE, you would assume I'd get confused by the likeness – but in reality they were a completely different squad of soldiers despite the roots of their artificial brains.

Kane often had a stiffer walk than Dale, less fluid, more stressed. Clarence had a liking to keeping his hair cleaner and shorter than Serge, with a taste for different cologne. Miles preferred to sing tunes under his breath, while Ace was more a jokester. Earl, a political figure and very loud in Avalon, involved with the public and the people, while Jose was a quiet figure, a solid thinker with a relaxed demeanour in the face of any violence.

I've arrived in Kane's skyscraper, and I find Kane sitting on a couch looking over his city, his head tilted but so utterly still as I approach from the residence and the bedroom, the rather empty area to which I was transpendised.

I call out casually to Kane to alert him of my approach, "Hey, boss. Dale says it is ingrained in you to love me?"

Kane is startled for a moment, and glances behind the couch toward me, a slow smile quickly spreading across his sharp lips, "Funny I see you, I was thinking about you briefly just now. Is this a surprise visit, Kitten?"

"I just need air, FC is in the midst of changes in power, rebellions, instability – so, I need some clear advice from a clear thinker," I say whatever bullshit sounds fancy as I hop over the couch and I lean back into Kane's shoulder, stretching out my legs and yawning while I push myself even further back onto Kane's lap, edging down as I lie back to look up at him, in a superior position to me. Kane doesn't seem to mind me lounging down on his lap, while I play with my sharp nails along his chin, tickling him very gently, "What were you thinking about me for, boss?"

Kane grasps my wrist and pulls my arm down to my side, while I slyly smirk at his arrogant typical glare, "How temporary you are," Kane drawls elegantly, his eyes narrowing in a mischievous manner, "In every role you play in that city – it's a cute simulation toward Dale's greater goals."

"Goals? He's already a Master of War. Dale's only goal is to drink whiskey over ice under strobe lights, while threatening to fuck me senseless on the bar, possibly in front of everyone –simply because he feels like it, a beast of true feeling...when drunk," I shake my head at Kane, "Unlike you, the one with true Ultimate goals, hell, probably world domination," I mention it lightly with a small giggle, just to read his reaction.

Interestingly enough, I'm surprised to see him thwart Viola's prediction entirely.

Kane stares out the window, rather placid, if somewhat bored by my suggestion.

"I only really exist to push myself further," Kane stares at the reflection of himself, "By doing the things which he, is afraid of," Kane glances down at me next, "I've never told anyone that, Kitten," Kane brings his hand to my cheek and one finger brushes hair around and behind my ear, while his eyes scan my face, "...what are you thinking about...right now?"

"Do you love me, Kane?" I change the subject, too weary to explore the other things he was mentioning, something I am also unsure about for the moment.

Kane scoffs outwardly now, even while tapping his light and cold fingers over my cheek, "Oh, no, Alyssa, I lost interest in you almost as soon as I got to know you decades ago. Not much to contemplate over you, as you're made via specific design. Vana, my soul, now she truly interests me, an original human brain, completely unaltered, completely natural. That is where my metal heart lies, you could even say it melts for her," Kane narrows his eyes, "I have not told anyone that either, not even her – only you could receive these secrets from me, upon this desolate earth... I can trust you Alyssa and your designed responses," he seems to think this part is funny, with a small humoured smile curling his handsome lips.