𝓓.𝓲.𝓽.𝓓 ▰Chapter 31▰

▰ZAC'S POV▰

I never thought I'd be saving a thousand and one lives, gaining a title of hero and medical knight, all within 18 hours of waking up in this strange dystopian future. But, I mean, I always knew I was destined for greatness; it was in my army training, within my altered genes.

First there was the crisis in one quarter of the city – an infection via a biochemical agent of war, killing people within a few hours of exposure.

I was a specialist in that kind of warfare, and while my brain was outdated with Old World tech, Dale's system files weren't and he was taught on the information I grew up on. So, I do what's reasonable – I look in his records, where I find paper files of a chemical called Blue Purity. It's a heal all wonder drug. It was listed as a cure to cancer – and every single disease on the planet, no matter who received the injection, it purified your DNA of any harmful mutations.

Finding the equation is easy, learning the equipment is another thing in the lab back at the hospital, but I manage to get some lazy workers to enter the code and supply it out to the front line, while I manage the cure getting a quick print off.

I do that in the first hour.

After that, I decide to work on the civil unrest over the footage of a girl called Blue being murdered. I head back into that isolated lab room in the hospital and I see the premature baby in the incubator tube – and Blue laid out next to Lucy.

I avoid Lucy's beautiful face, frozen in time, because there is nothing I can do for her right now. There is something wrong with Lucy's brain that I unfortunately can't control. Her body is fine in a stable coma, but her mind refuses to budge. It was a personal thing – something she would have to wake from on her own.

For the moment, it's a great distraction to focus on Blue.

If I can bring her back to life, then I can save the city from unrest and anarchy.

I enjoyed a challenge... and I also had a lean toward power.

You could achieve a powerful status through fear or respect, and I would always choose the latter, with a sprinkle of fear to keep everyone on their toes.

So, I start by analysing Blue's condition. Her brain is busted through multiple times – her skin pale, and every part of her is only kept alive by machines.

This, I already knew, was going to be next to impossible, hence why she lay here, a mere moment from death if only one thing more was to go wrong atop her current stabilisation.

Regardless of her sensitivity, I do a scan of her head anyway, to read what's left in there. I need a smidgen of brain activity to work it.

What I do find is something I certainly don't expect.

A unique pattern shows – static electricity mapping out the old neurons, a ghost of her brain, is written into her bloodstream, where pulses of electricity hold the same pattern. It's the most interesting thing I've ever seen, DNA mapped through light. It was faint but the signature was still pulsing. It was ingenious, but also high cost.

There were voids in her pattern too, large black voids of nothing.

Almost as if they were the gun shots, but she needed a big boost of... perhaps... lightning.

That was where the answer lay to reviving her.

This girl did not run on blood, per say.

She just needed a massive dose of electricity to rebuild her brain.

▰SALLY'S POV▰

It was my continuous dream to be known as a member of the Hellcats, a group of badass soldiers – the women of my special family, to face and deal with our own missions, separate from my fathers, A.R.M.Y and the FC Army. Of course, there were women in the general army but there wasn't one specialised task force where women had a respected name, compared to the gents.