SPITEFUL

"Eunnie."

"Sonmi, how are you?"

In-soo pulled her cardigan closer, not wanting to expose the almost visible baby bump. Both women sat down; there was not any animosity between them. Sonmi now recognized In-Soo as father's savior, though it was hard to accept at first. Sonmi quickly got used to the woman who could be her older sister.

"You look great. What's new?"

This was an excellent point about In-Soo; she didn't try to play replacement mother's instead, she portrayed an older friend. With In-Soo, there was not the usual have you eaten or how are your grades questions. In-Soo always made sure to be there to lend an ear to Sonmi's problems and just to have casual girl talks about other things such as fashion trends, dramas, and love.

Sonmi smiled, "eh, everything is fine; there's nothing new, just the same old life."

In-Soo cocked an eyebrow," just the same old, huh?"

The woman saw the car which dropped of Sonmi, not that she spied, but the flashy red sportscar attracted eyes.

"Actually, I've met someone."

In-Soo leaned forward, or at least the distance her stomach allowed her to receive the news, "you have a boyfriend?"

Sonmi nodded while her eyes smiled in delight.

"That's great; a girl your age should socialize."

In-Soo had always been intrigued by her lover's daughter. Sonmi was a cute but awkward introvert. In-Soo found her extraordinarily naive, and this caused her to worry that the world was a place where people like Sonmi easily got hurt.

"So, who is he? What does he do? Is he a med student?"

"No, he studies at Seoul University."

In-Soo nodded in approval, "wow, he must be smart."

"He is."

"What's his name?" pursued In-Soo.

"Ho Jae Kyung."

"Assure me, he has nothing to do with some ancestors chaebol family," In-Soo asked.

"Actually, he does."

In-Soo stretched out her hand to pat Sonmi's arm, " 조심하세요 be careful, Sonmi, rich men aren't what they are cut out to be."

"I know, but Jae is different."

Never Sonmi would have thought to give such an affirmation, but Jae managed to persuade her, and now her heart could not help but skip a beat when saying his name.

In-Sung approached their table, "here's a strawberry shortcake for my little princess and a carrot cake for madame."

In-Sung put the plates on the table a sat next to In-Soo, "so what were you two talking about?"

"It was just girl talk," In-Soo said, giving Sonmi an accomplice smile.

"I see that I'm the odd one out again."

"Oh, poor thing," In-Soo said, pulling on In-Sung's cheeks.

The scene, though amusing, made Sonmi uneasy; she had never seen her mother and father in a playful stance. She barely remembered them even hugging, here seeing In-Soo toy with her father's face, Sonmi did not know whether she should laugh or cry.

In-Sung seeing his daughter's bewildered stare, pulled away In-Soo's hand from his face and tried to resume the discussion.

"Does your girl talk have anything to do with the red sports car parked in front of my cafe?"