Chapter Thirteen: One Robbery

“Jayson,” Daniel called to me in a low whisper from his work station.

“What?” I asked loudly as he made faces at me.

“I bet you five dollars that this spitball will hit Mason in between his eyebrows,” Daniel rasped.

I glanced over at Mason to see he was completely oblivious to our conversation. His mind was on work as usual. I chuckled as I waved five dollars at Daniel. Daniel nodded as he chewed a piece of paper up and pushed it into a straw. I glanced over at Mason as he hung up the phone with a smile on his face. It must be Liam’s mom – Ruby or whatever her name was - because he had that stupid cheesy grin stuck on his stupid face.

I watched as the spitball landed smack dab on his forehead right in between his eyebrows just as Daniel said. Daniel and I laughed quietly as he wiped it off his forehead.

“Could you guys actually do something with your lives? Gosh,” Mason huffed.

“Like what?” Daniel asked with a serious face.

“Like I don’t know – work for once?” Mason retorted. “I know that’s a hard concept for the two of you to grasp.”

“Work? What is that? Can you define work? What is this work you speak of?” I joked.

That was how a normal work day would run with Daniel, Mason and I. Daniel and I would work at a sub-par level while Mason would work his ass off. Results were still the same so; it didn’t make a difference to me.

Anyways that evening when I got home, Noah was not there. Nor had he responded to any of my text messages. I figured he must be planning his revenge on me with his friends.

I chuckled as I waited for him to come home. I waited and I waited and I waited and I waited, but Noah hadn’t come home yet. I wasn’t worried though. I mean whatever Noah was planning – I wasn’t scared. I mean what’s the worst he could do to me.

So, I went to bed as usual. That night I woke up though, after hearing a loud crashing sound. I rubbed my eyes and glanced at the clock. It was one am. It probably came from outside. We lived in the city after all – shit happens. I was about to go back to sleep, when Daniel rushed to my room. He slammed the door shut quickly.

“Jayson! Wake up! Wake up!” he shouted jumping into my bed.

“Daniel,” I groaned.

“Jayson! I think we’re being robbed,” Daniel said with a serious look on his face. “I swear to you.”

“Daniel, did you eat shrooms again?” I mumbled as I sat up in bed.

“No! I didn’t take any drugs! I swear!” Daniel said. “Go out there! I think I saw someone.”

Before I could answer, I heard a shriek come from the kitchen. I glanced at Daniel as I stared in disbelief.

“Really? This is peachy! Did you and Noah plan this?” I asked. “Is this my payback?”

“Fuck your payback,” Daniel huffed. “Jayson! We are being ROBBED! This isn’t a joke!”

“Fine! I’ll play along,” I smirked as I slid my sweats on. Daniel followed me as I swung my bedroom door shut and walked down the hallway of the apartment towards the living room. Daniel held onto my arm as I moved to flick the light on.

I flicked it a few times, but it didn’t come on. The power was out. Ok, this was a very elaborate prank here. I chuckled. Wow – Noah went all out on this one. I wonder how he got the power off. I raised an eyebrow as I moved into the closet and pulled a flashlight out.