12.

Derek finished putting his jacket on and grabbed his briefcase. He was in a hurry to go nowhere. Nothing was waiting for him in his lonely penthouse apartment and he didn't really have any friends. He used to have Mark, but that was long gone along with his marriage. He sighed. He entered the elevator and stood in the back. He put his finger to his lips. They were still tingling from where they had touched Mer's soft skin. He had meant every word he said. Well, almost. He didn't intend to leave her alone. He couldn't.

"Well, I didn't sleep with him, but he is stuck here all night." Addison said, getting on the elevator with him, ignoring the looks the other passengers gave her at her outburst.

"What? She is alone tonight?" He asked, suddenly alert.

"Unless she is screwing someone else." Addie said.

"Not helping...I wonder which apartment she is in?" Derek wondered.

"You wont find her there." A voice came out of nowhere. Derek and Addie turned to the new person joining their conversation.

"Who are you?" Derek asked. The woman rolled her eyes.

"Liz Wakefield. I am your scrub nurse...for two years now...whatever. I assume you are talking about Dr. Grey? She asked us where the nearest decent bar was. So she is probably over at Grant's Pub."

Derek sighed in relief. Drunk Meredith was always easier to deal with.

"Thank you Liz...really...I owe you big time." The elevator doors opened and Derek darted out leaving Liz and Addie in his wake.

"Must really suck, huh, Dr. Montgomery? Him so obviously in love with someone else and not bothering to hide it. He is just flaunting it in front of your face." Liz said sweetly, her voice laced with venom. Nurse Liz was one of the many people Addison had let loose on today.

"Thank you Liz. Like I didn't feel like shit already."

"No problem...anytime. Really." Liz walked off and grinned as she left Addie behind just as Derek had. Maybe Addie wouldn't be so quick to yell at people anymore.

****************************

Meredith slammed back another shot...her fourth. She looked around at her surroundings. It was an okay place. She recognized several people from the hospital. This must be their Joe's. She sighed and tried to determine how drunk she was. She didn't want to get to the point where she took a random boy home, but she did want to forget. There was really a very line between the two with her. It had been a long time since she had had a one night stand. It had been a long time since she had had sex...period. Thank god for her excellent vibrator, which she had left at home. Now why couldn't Izzie have reminded her to pack that.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" A familiar voice said.

Oh. God. No.

"What do you want?" She asked disdainfully.

"To get to know you better." Was the smooth reply.

"Go Away, I already told you I am not interested in you. Or do you need a hearing aide?"

"Still fiesty, I see." Mark Sloan grinned at Meredith. "I still don't know your name."

"Do you normally get women's names before you try to bang them?"

"No...but I like you so I will make an exception. Come on..." He urged playfully.

"Meredith Grey. Now leave me alone."

"Beautiful name."

"Go choke on something." Meredith demanded rolling her eyes.

"Why don't you like me?"

"I don't know you. And I don't want to know you."

"Everyone wants to know me." He said seductively.

"Obviously, not everyone. Let me drink in peace. I don't want to sleep with you. I don't do that shit anymore, okay?"

Mark saw the pain in her eyes and decided to back off with the flirting.

"Okay. Would it be alright if I just sit here with you...no funny business. We can just talk...be friends."

"Friends? Yeah, okay...like that will happen."

"Yeah, friends. I don't really have any. The only friend I had, I betrayed so..." He trailed off and cleared his throat uncomfortably.

Meredith looked at him and recognized the look in his eyes.

"Fine, you can sit here, but if your hand so much as roams two inches in this direction...I will cut your dick off and hang it on the surgical board."

Mark winced and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Fiesty and violent. Yeah, they would definitely have to stay just friends. This girl had a crazy streak. He would have to remember never to cross her.