1.

Meredith Grey stood at the Nurses Station on the Surgical Floor at Seattle Grace Hospital almost oblivious to the looks cast at her as people walked by. She was well used to those 4 years into her residency at this hospital. She vaguely wondered what the gossip was this time. She wasn't sleeping with anyone...right now anyway, she hadn't killed anyone, no drunken displays at Joe's in a while. Oh well, let the vultures circle she thought. Unbeknownst to her, there was no gossip spreading about her. People were just taken aback when they saw her. They took one look at her slim figure, dirty blond hair that curled down her back, her beautiful gray-green eyes that showed all of her emotions, her porcelain skin and her full pink lips and they were spellbound. She had the kind of interesting beauty that made people do a double take and was not obvious until they stared for awhile.

Beep, beep, beep

She groaned. What now? She had ten minutes left on her 24 hour shift. All she wanted to do was go home and sleep. She looked at the offending pager. The Chief? She groaned again.

Richard Webber. One of the many banes of her existence. He had helped ruin her childhood and he had hired 'he who shall not be mentioned' and had called 'he who shall not be mentioned's' secret wife, who had drug him away from Seattle as soon as he had picked her. Yes, Meredith had problems with Richard Webber but strived to maintain a professional attitude with him. That worked by avoiding him as much as possible. Easier now that Ellis Grey had passed of a massive coronary last year. She finished her notes and strode towards his office. When she arrived she noticed her good friend Alex Karev there, leaning against the wall outside of the Chief's domain.

"Hey, you look like shit." He greeted her.

"Thanks." She responded dryly not bothering to fight the tired smile that spread across her face. He was her male Cristina.

"You were paged too?" He asked.

"Yep. I wonder what he wants."

"Don't know. Haven't killed anyone, you?"

"Not yet today, you?" She asked.

"Nope."

They fell into an easy silence until Patricia said that Dr. Webber was ready for them. They entered and had a seat waiting for him to speak.

"As you well know, Seattle Grace is one of the foremost teaching hospitals on the West Coast. And you know that Mount Sinai is one of foremost teaching hospitals on the East Coast. What you don't know is that effective next week, we will do a crossover of sorts. Two fourth year residents from here and two from there will be trading places for 3 months to have the opportunity to observe different teaching styles. I have picked you two."

Alex and Meredith shared a confused glance. Why them?

"Why you? Because you are two of my best residents. You have also picked two of the specialties that are involved...Gynecology and Neurosurgery. You leave Saturday and will be put into an apartment that the hospital uses for visiting doctors. It is a two bedroom apartment and as you already live together, I didn't figure it would be a problem to share."

"No." They said simultaneously.

"Great. Here are your information packets. I don't know who you will be working under, but whatever you do...make me proud. Any questions?"

They both shook their heads.

"Great. That is all." The Chief said dismissing them.

Alex and Meredith exited his office. Meredith was grumbling underneath her breath.

"It's not that bad, is it? I am no Cristina, but..."

"No. I'm okay going with you to New York. I just wonder, why couldn't he pick someone else. He just can't leave me alone."

"Think of it this way...you won't have to see him for three months."

"You have a point. Oh God, is the world ending?" Meredith joked.

"Bitch."

"Gigolo."

"Whore."

"Syph Boy."

"Not cool Grey. That is hitting below the belt."

"Keep it up and I will hit you below the belt."

Alex laughed. He felt an incredible bond with Meredith. They were mirror images of one another.

"I have another two hours of my shift. I'll see ya later."

"I will be there and I will be sleeping, so if you pick up one of your skanks, keep it down, will ya?"

"I will abstain tonight, just for you."

Meredith rolled her eyes.

"You slept with a nurse today didn't you?" She accused him.

"Eh, it's the other white meat."

"Go away Alex." Meredith rolled her eyes.

"Bye Mer." He patted her head patronizingly and ducked when she swiped at him. " You are so fiesty."

Alex ran away from her wrath and Meredith laughed and headed home for some much needed sleep before her day started all over again.