chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

"You know what Vince said. We can't," Bea replied. She wanted to get Minho and Aris back badly but as Vince said, they needed to prepare properly because there was no way in hell they would get a chance like this again.

"It doesn't make sense why we can't though," she stropped, "Like you said Bea, we don't know what WCKD is doing to them."

"We need to come up with a plan Harri-"

"But Vince is already doing that with Thomas," Harriet cut her off, wacking down on another log, "We know where they're going to be on May 8th, so why should we have to wait until June?"

Bea gave Harriet an 'are you serious' look. "The district line is closer to us than any of the other railways they are going to be using. And-"

"Since when had the distance ever made a difference?" Harriet snapped, "If we can get them back sooner then we should."

Bea parted her lips to retaliate when one of the kids came skipping in, dropping of her wood pile. Harriet murmured a thank you to the girl before she left.

"Harri, I know you want to get them soon. Trust me, I understand -"

"No," Harriet cut her off for the third time, "You don't understand. It is killing me inside knowing that I can do something soon to save my friends but no. We have to wait until almost a month later to actually do something."

"We can't do any of this without a foolproof plan," Bea sighed, choosing a softer approach.

"But we can get them back, Bea," Harriet exclaimed, "And soon too. What if they change plans, huh?"

"Harri-"

"What if they change routes?"

"Yeah but-"

"What if they knew we were listening so they came up with a fake plan so when we get there, they can capture us too? Guess you didn't think about that one."

Bea inhaled sharply, pinching the bridge of her nose. One thing she hated most was arguing with Harriet. Usually, it was just bickering over small stuff - nothing major. Nothing like this.

"Harriet, please just listen to me," Bea urged. "We are 100% going to get them back, okay? Look, I know you want to save them soon and really badly. I want to get Minho and Aris back too. But if we did something early without a proper plan, we would be putting them in more danger and putting ourselves in danger too. And I know that Son-"

"You don't understand Bea!" Harriet shouted, startling one of the kids that was dropping off a log pile, "You knew Minho and Aris for what....like a week? You barely knew them. Aris and Sonya, they-they're everything to me. They're my best friends. They're all I have."

"All you have?" Bea repeated, trying to cover up the sad look on her face.

"Yes. All I have," Harriet confirmed, her eyes burning with rage.

Bea nodded solemnly, turning back towards her freshly cut log pile. Gathering a huge chunk in her arms, she moved them over to the second pile she had started with Harriet. The two finished off cutting the logs in complete silence

---

"Bea, Fry's just finished dinner," Thomas called out from down the corridor.

"Yeah, I'm coming," she shouted back so he could hear her.

After the log cutting trip, Harriet and Bea had walked back with the kids. This time Harriet walked at the front 'just incase the kids took a wrong turn and got lost'. Since then, Bea stayed on he room, lying in her hammock to avoid Harriet.