☹︎12☹︎

Grover POV

She had to choose her own path. She had to do what she wanted. I knew, part of her wanted to join her mother. But it was me that was holding her back from being happy. It was me who could potentially make her give up the chance to have a mother.

I knew what I needed to do.

It was later on Thursday night. I walked to the Artemis cabin a slipped a note under the door.

Meet me at The juniper tree
-G

Part of me hoped she wouldn't show. Part of me wanted to go back and rip up that letter. But I couldn't. I had to let her be happy. And besides. If you love something let it go, right?

I was sitting at the base of the tree when she walked up but quickly stood. Her long, auburn hair was down and it framed her flawless face perfectly. Her yellow eyes seemed to glow in the moonlight.

"Hey, Grover. Whats up?" She asked as she stood in front of me. She was fidgeting with a string on her pants.

I sighed. I managed all my courage and i said it. "Im sorry, Lyra. I don't love you" i lied. "Everything was just in the heat of the moment"

Her face looked unchanged. But i saw it. The thing that made me break inside. That single tear that ran down her cheek as she desperately tried to keep it together. I saw it.

"Oh..." is all she said. She stared straight at the ground. Never looking at me. Never looking at the forest, just the ground.

It broke me. I had to do this though. She wouldn't have been happy with me. We couldn't have gotten married. We couldn't have had kids. We were just living a fantasy.

I turned and walked away. I walked deeper into the forest and thats where i fell to my knees. Thats where i cried until my lungs hurt and my eyes were raw. Thats where i fell asleep. Her smile the only thing on my mind.
☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎☾☀︎︎
Lyra POV

I woke up the next morning. My eyes were raw from crying and my heart hurt. I didn't go to breakfast. I knew id probably get in trouble, but I didn't care. I couldn't hold myself together in the solitude of my own cabin, much less outside. And, I didn't feel like eating. Nothing mattered anymore. Who cares if i starve to death.

I sat in my dark cabin and cried. I thought of how he said he didn't love me. How he said it was just in the heat of the moment. How could he do this. I had loved him. I still do. I risked everything for him. I was prepared to reject my mother as long as he told me too.

It was about 12:00pm when Annabeth walked in my cabin. She saw me crying and immediately ran to me.

"Lyra? What's wrong? Why weren't you at breakfast?"  She asked, trying to comfort me.

"He-he doesn't l-love me." I stuttered through the sobs and tears. I was drowning and I couldn't get out of my own pain.

"Who? What are you talking about?" She asked frantically. She was trying her best to comfort me but to no avail.

I told her the best I could. I told her how we kissed. I told her how we said we loved each other. And then i told her how he hurt me. How he made my heart break.

After I finished, she hugged me. She hugged me while I soaked her shirt in my salty tears. While I thought.

Why cant i be good enough? Am i so unlovable? No one cares.

She pulled away and attempted to get me to stand. "Lyra, lets go to the strawberry fields. Huh? Get your mind off everything." She said, taking my hand.

My legs were wobbly. But i stood and followed her. In the same clothes i wore yesterday. But I didn't care. I know I looked a mess.

We walked to the strawberry field. Some Demeter kids were there tending to the plants. The air smelled beautiful. There was a bright sun and it was a cloudless day. It was beautiful. It felt like it was mocking my pain.

"Your mom comes in two days." Ananbeth said as we walked, her hands tucked in her pockets.

I sniffled and nodded. I didn't feel like talking much.

"Are you going to join her?"

I shrugged.

Annabeth sighed. She told me to wait and she walked away. After about 15 minutes she came back. We continued walking. In silence.
ꨄఌꨄఌꨄఌꨄఌꨄఌꨄ

A/N: hello everyone. I know, i know. It sucks  But Grover did it for lyra. He felt like he had too.

And, yes. Lyra does have Depression. I would like to raise awareness of this illness and to tell you all. IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO, MESSAGE ME!! Oh please.

I have history with depression. So if u ever need anyone to talk to about, Depression, Self harm, suicidal thoughts ect, message me.