||19||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
❄️The White Witch❄️
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

In contrast to the surrounding serenity by the lake, Edmund practised his stances with raging aggression. Like his weapons scattered all over the ground, his mind was cluttered.

All Charlotte's praises about him being a just ruler, and her words of optimism were proven wrong by the recent events. Everything she ever said turned out false.

Letting out a raging roar, he swung his sword at the sturdy tree. He cared so little about causing it pain. The trees were all redundant in the castle attack anyway. Leaves rustled behind him, and he swung his sword without hesitation.

"Edmund, stop!" Peter had his shield in front of him, deflecting his attack.

Edmund's breathing was so heavy that his chest rose and fell quickly. His deadly glare lingered on Peter. Peter had never seen him so furious.

"Peter," Edmund lowered his sword, "I want to be alone."

He tossed the sword to the ground and rested his elbows on his knees as he sat by the lake. Of course, Peter's stubborn nature was not surprising. Peter's presence grew by his side, and he rolled his eyes in response.

"Susan told me to check on you, she and Lu are worried."

"You can tell them I'm fine," Edmund snapped snarkily.

"Well, I see otherwise. How are you feeling?"

"Bloody terrible, it's my fault."

"It's not your fault," Peter assured him, "we were doomed to lose her. I thought about it, and I think we ought to be thankful she's still alive. The prophecy wasn't what we thought it meant."

"I know, I just wish it didn't have to come to this."

"I blame myself, Pete," Edmund grumbled, placing his hands on his temples in clear distress, "I was supposed to be the Just. But I couldn't come up with the most objective approach this whole time. I told you I had a bad feeling about this plan, I told you we needed more time."

"But... Our plan was brilliant!" Peter protested, scrunching his nose, "Caspian didn't follow through. Instead, he went and confronted Miraz. If it weren't for him, our plan would've worked."

Edmund concentrated on the water, which helped to spread serenity in him. For once, his mind cleared and he was able to somewhat make sense of the situation.

"No..." Edmund trailed off.

"I'm sorry?"

"It's not just his fault," Edmund turned to him, "all of us are to blame. She trusted us, you know? She believed we all knew what we were doing."

"I knew what I was doing," Peter refused like a mule, "I had it sorted until Caspian messed up. He didn't know what he was doing."

Edmund frowned at him. "Alright, Pete, your stubbornness has gone far enough."

"I beg your pardon?" Peter was taken aback by his tone.