||14||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
🔦Element of Surprise🔦
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

In the early hours before sunrise, Charlotte prepared her sword by her waist and her shield on her back. From the corner of her eye, Edmund waited for her by her chambers. She gazed at him dearly when she was done preparing her gear.

He was slumped against the rocky wall with his arms crossed, his solemn gaze glued to the hard floor. Her heart sank to see him so glum. It was all too surreal to realise that they had grown to care so much for each other over the past few weeks.

"Hey," she whispered gently, placing a hand on his shoulder.

His eyes met hers, glassy with tears, his expression grave and downhearted. She exhaled deeply, softly encouraging him.

"It will all be okay in the end," she assured him with a flicker of hope.

The sun greeted them from behind the trees, its vibrant colours painting the morning skies. They joined the rest, meeting Lucy outside the How, who watched the troops leave the fortress. Glenstorm shared some words with his wife at a corner, assuring her that he would look after their sons.

Lucy stared at Peter, her eyebrows pulled together and the corners of her lips sinking downwards. Peter fleetingly met her glare, still refusing to consider her opinion. To him, she would only understand the complexity of the situation if she was older.

"It'll be okay, Lu," Charlotte tried to soothe her, placing a hand on her shoulder, "have a little faith."

"Have a little faith?" Lucy repeated dryly, "I still have faith in Aslan. Do they?"

"Lucy," Edmund frowned disapprovingly at her tone of disrespect.

"He's never going to listen," Lucy said gloomily to Charlotte, turning to retreat to the How.

"Lucy," Charlotte called, only for Edmund to block her with his arm.

"Charlotte, we have a castle to get to," Peter reminded her, almost seeming emotionless, "we need to stay focused."

Charlotte glanced at Edmund with pleading eyes, "Ed..."

"She'll calm down," he said, prompting her to continue.

She huffed a defeated sigh before they both followed the trail into the woods.

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

By nightfall, they camped outside the Telmarine castle. The sun had already bid them goodbye, and the moon had risen, accompanied by clouds and mists which shielded them in the forest.

To put Edmund's mind to rest, Peter decided to let Charlotte stick to Caspian breaking into the library while Glenstorm alone led the troops in on Edmund's cue. After all, Peter was willing to ensure everyone stayed on the mission with a clear mind.

"They should be in their chambers by now, deep in slumber," Caspian confirmed, observing the glowing orb in the sky.

"You know what to do," Peter gestured to Edmund and Charlotte, "good luck."