CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"Where are we going?" Daish asked as he looked up at her. The exhaustion was evident in his tone but she knew that he would soon wake up. Between the cold wind and the horse riding that they were about to do, he would likely wake up quickly.

"Back into Ravka. We will protect you," Liliya promised softly, her smile widening a little. Daish looked around apprehensively before he nodded his head. It didn't seem all that enthusiastic about riding back into the country but he knew that there was little choice. It was going with Liliya or risk being killed by Isaak.

Liliya pulled herself up onto the horse once she had adjusted the saddle and then held her hand out. He took it and she hauled him up. Instructing him to hold on and not let go for anything. Liliya then grabbed a hold of the reins and steered them back. The horse trotting away from the tree towards the exit.

"Malysh," Isaak's voice made her stop, pulling the reins. The horse stopped and Liliya turned her head to her father. He stood tall. The scars shining in the early morning light. His forest green eyes dull from the gloom. She looked at him, "I had so much faith in you," He said softly. Liliya rolled her eyes and then grabbed onto the reins tighter. Daish was pressed against her chest, the kefta opening and protecting as much of his body as she could.

"You would never have abandoned me if you did. Let me leave, Isaak, or I'll kill you. The Fjerdans should have done their job," Liliya said. Her voice was calm and even but her fingers were shaky. She was cold and gripping the reins far too tightly. Her head twisted back and ready to send the horse off into a gallop at a moment's notice.

A sigh escaped Isaak's lips and he stared up at Liliya, his gaze passing over her face. It was almost as if he was admiring her. His hand rested at his side, hovering over the gun slung onto his hip. However, he wasn't picking it up. He didn't seem to want to.

"Leave, malysh. Before I change my mind," Isaak said as he stared at her. Liliya's eyebrows drew together and she opened her mouth but then closed it. There was no point in questioning it so instead she gently squeezed the horse with her legs. As if on automatic, the horse began to trot which turned into a canter and with a little more encouragement, they were galloping.

The horse seemed to know the road back to Ravka and the wind whipped in Liliya's face as they galloped down the path. The sun was rising still. The light shining through the trees, it blinded her slightly but the joy she felt from escaping was better than any of that. Her whole body still ached, her leg was wounded but the pain had become a secondary sensation to her.

So, she focused on getting out. Keeping Daish protected as they rode through the Ravkan countryside to find a village where she could get a message to General Kirigan. She had saved the Sun Summoner and herself.

It wasn't long until they found a village. It was a border village and it was full of Shu refugees and Ravkans. A soft smile appeared on her lips as she pulled up to the village. She needed to stop just for some food and the two of them slid off the horse. Liliya quickly realised she had no food but Daish seemed to have a knack for stealing and they had enough for lunch.

Once that was eaten and their horse was rested, they were travelling again. They needed to get as far away from the border as quickly as possibly. The end destination was Os Alta but any big town would be better than nothing.

By the time the sun was falling, they were on the outskirts of a larger village. Liliya was too tired to care about the name but found the first person she could to send a message to Os Alta. Daish managed to steal some more money from passerbys and they had enough for a hotel. Liliya wondered how he had become such a good pickpocket. He was the son of a nobleman after all but Liliya didn't feel like asking.