CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

It then occured to Liliya that she had no idea where they were. Ivan hadn't told her if they had been taken somewhere, she assumed that he didn't know. Someone would have come for them if they were still in that tavern. Kirigan, Roma, Lev, even the First Army soldiers probably would have come. They weren't stupid. But nothing. They must have moved.

"What do we plan on doing once we get out the doors?" Liliya asked as she moved to stand by him. She was limping, her calf screaming in pain with each movement but she grit her teeth. She could get through it. This wasn't the worst thing she had faced in recent weeks. Sitting with a knife in her intestines for hours had been worse than this. She knew that she would be fine.

"Run," Ivan said simply. The redhead sighed. It was like he had forgotten that she could barely walk. There had to be a better plan but then he had opened the door and she couldn't even think about it. Her hands moved quickly and the darkness invaded the room. Clouding their vision. She heard Ivan move and then guns. She heard them cocking.

Her foot moved forward and the darkness guided her. Ivan still stood by her side. She could feel his presence, barely, but it was there. It was like the darkness was speaking to her. Her feet moved through and then she felt Ivan grab her hand. His head leant down and he whispered 'Duck'. Liliya was quick to do so but her calf gave out. Her body falling forward and she felt a foot slam against her back. A soft cry escaping her lips.

"Good luck," Ivan said before he darted away through the darkness. The darkness stayed up, shrouding her but she could hear the movement. The Shu assasssins and it wasn't long until they would find her. Until they would stumble across her in the dark and she had to get up. Her fingers pushed against the stone floor and she got up.

Her whole body ached, her hands shaking. Her back throbbing from where Ivan had stamped against her spine. If she could get out, she would be safe but her hold on the shadows was shaky. Shaky enough that everything was beginning to get lighter. The pain hit her in another wave and her leg tried to give in but she pushed herself up. All her energy going into staying upright as she stumbled blindly to find the door.

But then she went right into somebody's chest. It wasn't Ivan. They were wearing fire and she felt a hand grip her. Someone speaking in a low voice. It was Shu and her pain-addled mind couldn't quite make out what it was. Her hands moved to push his chest but then the pain hit again. It was like a tsunami and her leg gave out. The last sliver of hold on the shadows vanished and the room was in light again. They could all see her and Ivan was gone.

The guns were trained on her and she limply held her hands up. There was no point in resisting it. Ivan had betrayed her. The Boy was going to die and she was going to die. Some part of her was content with the fate that she had been handed. It wasn't entirely as cruel as she expected. It wasn't like her father. He was tortured and murdered in Fjerda, she had discovered. Liliya was just going to be shot by a Shu assassin. It was nice in comparison.

"Don't shoot her," A voice she didn't recognise spoke. It was Shu again but their voice was clear, loud. They had their hands by their sides and she twisted her head to see a tall man. A man she recognised. His clean-shaven sharp jawline. The scar etching across the side of his face and across his lips. Those forest green eyes that had brought her so much comfort once. Her jaw fell slack at the sight... the man. She didn't understand, "Where is Tomas? Did you shoot him?" The man asked as he turned his gaze across the Shu assassins. There was a nod from one of the men and the newcomer sighed. He shook his head slightly, "Good. He served his purpose," The man mumbled as he walked over to Liliya.

"He was Grisha scum. Just like her. She is a threat," One of the Shu assassins said. Liliya snapped her head up to him. The newcomer rolled his eyes.

"We can dissect her when we are home. All of you step out, take Daish for a walk," The newcomer said. Liliya still not quite believing it. Her hands were shaky and the sick was climbing up her throat. Her head slamming against her chest. Words escaped her and it was only when the door slammed and the Shu assassins were gone did she find herself able to speak.