Chapter 23

Waking up later in the morning, both Jaemin and Renjun started to get ready for their graduation ceremony.

Jaemin decided to take a quick shower, to wash away all the thoughts and memories from earlier in the day.

Shutting off the water, he stepped out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waste.

After blow drying his hair, he walked out the bathroom, towel still wrapped around his waist and made his way into his room.

He dressed himself in a white long sleeved button up dress shirt with a black tie and black slacks, finishing his outfit with sleek black dress shoes.

Jaemin styled his fluffy hair and parted it down the middle, spraying a bit of hair spray to keep it in place.

He stared at the locket on too of his dresser, smiling sadly. He picked it up and unhooked the chain, wrapping it around his neck and securing it in place.

The chain now around his neck, Jaemin opened the locket and giggled at the drawing inside it.

"Now we'll always be with each other!"

"Of course! I'm not going anywhere! You won't be able to get rid of me!"

Jaemin recalled the promise he and Jeno made with each other when they were younger.

"Are you sure you won't get in trouble?" Eight year old Jeno asked, the newly turned seven year old.

"No, but who cares?! It's my birthday!" Jaemin dragged the older by his arm through the backyard and towards the main road.

Jaemin had just turned seven today and he wanted to buy ice cream since a new flavor had came out. Of course Jaemin wouldn't leave without Jeno being there.

Jeno is allowed to go by himself to get the ice cream since it's only down the block from his house, but he wasn't too sure if Jaemin was.

But the younger kept assuring him that it was fine. And so they went and bought their ice cream.

"You're so messy," Jeno clicked his tongue and whipped Jaemin's face with a napkin, the younger's smile beaming.

"It tastes so good!" Jaemin hopped slightly on his seat in excitement.

Jeno watched in amusement as his best friend always gets exciting for the smallest things.

"Let's head back now. I don't want you to get in trouble, Nana," Jeno had told and Jaemin nodded his head with a frown.

"Promise you'll take me again soon?" Jaemin asked Jeno who nodded his head with a smile, his eyes turning to crescents.

"Of course, I will," Jeno ruffled the younger's hair and kisses his cheek.

"Happy Birthday, Nana," Jeno spoke softly as Jaemin smiled widely, a blush spreading over his cheeks.

"Thank you, Nono" Jaemin responded shyly and hugged his best friend tightly.

"Take me here for my eighth birthday! I want to spend it with you only," Jaemin snuggled his face in the older neck.

Jeno hummed in response, a smile still evident on his face.

But they never had the chance since the next day, Jaemin had to leave.

Jaemin wiped the tears that were staring to roll down his cheeks away and closed the locket, tucking the necklace into his shirt.

Jaemin had texted Jeno earlier the time and the place as the older responded saying that he'll be there.

Before leaving, Jaemin made himself a cup of coffee and Renjun some tea since he doesn't drink coffee.

"Thanks," Renjun said before taking a sip.

"Let's make our last day the best, okay? Let's try to focus on the present today and forget the past for now. I want you to have a great day, Jaem," Renjun told his best friend.

"I'll try," Jaemin nodded his head with a small smile creeping it's way to his lips.

"By the way, looking good," Jaemin complemented the older who smirked.

"Thanks, I can say the same about you," Renjun pointed his finger guns as the two of them laughed.

They finished their drinks and left to their ceremony. The day was beautiful, the skies were crystal clear, the sun shining brightly, the wind blowing ever so gently. It was the perfect weather to be out.

____________________________________________