Chapter 11

"You seem to be attached to Jihoon," Jeno spoke after taking about from his pastry.

"Yeah, I've know him for a while," Jaemin responded, taking a sip of his second cup of coffee while Jeno smiled.

Silence invaded the table they were seated at. It wasn't awkward, but it wasn't too comfortable either.

Jaemin was too anxious to get answers from the older to find out what he knows and Jeno was just contemplating how he should bring anything up.

"Can I ask you a question? If you don't mind, of course," Jaemin asked and Jeno nodded his head.

"I'm all ears."

"Do I know you?" Jaemin asked bluntly.

"Come again?"

"As in do I know you personally? I feel like I've known you and I've recognized the name you called me before, but I'm unsure as to where it came from," Jaemin continued.

"You want me to be honest with you?" Jeno questioned and Jaemin nodded.

"And what if I lie to you?" Jeno asked.

"I'll be able to tell," Jaemin answered confidently and Jeno chuckled.

After the laughter that came from the both of them dialed down, Jeno spoke yet again.

"To be honest, yeah. We do know each other for a long time actually."

Jaemin frowned, his lips puckering into a pout.

"So why can't I remember, ugh," Jaemin grabbed his head and shook it.

"It's okay. I told you I was going to help you remember, didn't I?" Jeno reminded the younger.

"Yeah.." Jaemin said shyly, still feeling strange on how he can be so comfortable with the older.

The two left the cafe after everything was paid for. They spent the rest of their time there talking and catching up with one another in hopes that Jeno could refresh his memory.

That's what they did for the next four months. It was the same routine every time they met during the weekends. Visit the orphanage, go to the cafe, take a walk, go back home, do the same things again the next time they meet up.

It was currently the last week of school and exams had occured the week before. Renjun and Jaemin looked up their grades online to find out that they passed and were able to graduate with their degrees in their major.

"We should celebrate," Jaemin suggested and his best friend shook his head.

"Hell no," Renjun spat.

"Why not?" Jaemin whined.

"Because the last time we "celebrated" our scores was also the same time we both got hella drunk and ended up next to someone's pool the next day!" Renjun recalled the memory.

"That wasn't a big deal though," Jaemin defended.

"I also fucking drowned because of your dumbass!" Renjun argued.

"I told you it was an accident! I didn't mean to push you off the ledge and into the water," Jaemin crossed his arms.

"Besides it's not my fault you're too short to reach the bottom," Jaemin rolled his eyes and Renjun's lids widened.

"My height has nothing to do with my capability to swim," Renjun retorted.

"Please, the doggy paddle isn't going to save your life forever, Junnie," Jaemin spoke in a matter of fact.

"Excuse you, but the doggy paddle happens to be working perfectly fine as you can see I'm still alive today and breathing," Renjun answered.

"Whatever you say," Jaemin responded, not wanting to go further into this discussion.

A few years back, Jaemin and Renjun went to the local bar to celebrate their passing of the first year.

The lights were dim, the temperature was hot as there were too many bodies in the building, and the smell of alcohol reeked in its vents.

Jaemin and Renjun are not the type to drink, but they got themselves stuck into a playing a game at the bar, which consisted of taking shots each time you didn't answered a question.

The two best friends had a good time. It was also the same day Renjun met Yangyang. They hit it off and exchanged numbers.

Everything started becoming blurry, until it became pitch black. The only thing they remember was playing the drinking game and waking up at someone's house on the ledge of a pool.

Jaemin had awoken first and stood up, not realizing he pushed Renjun in the water by accident until he heard a splash.

Renjun was furious, but also scared for his life because he was drowning....

in a pool that was no higher than three feet..

Now neither of the two are party animals. They just wanted to try something new for a change, to experience it at least once in their lifetime. And they surely decided on never doing such a thing again.

The hangover the day they woke up by the pool was terrible.

"We're graduating this Friday. Are you going to tell Jeno to come?" Renjun questioned the younger as they made their way into their apartment.

"I don't know. Do you think I should?" Jaemin asked.

"I mean you've been hanging out with each other for a while now so I would think it would be weird not to bring it up," Renjun spoke as the two of them removed their shoes.

"I'm not sure. I'll see," Jaemin said, making his way into the bathroom for a shower.

Once he came out of the bathroom, Renjun went in after him. Jaemin flopped on the couch and turned on the TV, switching on the case he always watches from time to time.

Police cars and ambulance trucks invaded the scene with their loud sirens. The road had been blocked off, as the forensics teams were looking for anything that can trace back to the parents of the child as proof.

"Thank you for your commentary. The eleven year old boy, who goes by the name of-"

The video froze and a static noise was heard. Jaemin sighed as he couldn't watch anymore of the video since the rest of it wasn't working.

Switching the channel after giving up, Jaemin settled on a movie not noticing the eyes of the older peeking out of the bathroom, sighing in relief.

"Hurry up, Jeno," Renjun mumbled to himself.

____________________________________________