Chapter 17: Memories

After crying for a couple minutes I stopped. I had to stay strong. My pacing started again. From within Mary's room I heard a scream and a crash and I heard her calling for the nurse. Jack burst out of the room looking shocked and super upset. I grabbed his shoulders to stop his shaking and looked him straight in the eyes. "Jack! Speak to me! What happened in there?!" he was shaken up and he started to stutter as he explained it to me. I took him to a chair as the screaming in the room where Mary was began to stop with all the nurses and doctors.

"I was talking to her and then she woke up!" Jack started crying and I rubbed his back to calm him down. "She screamed when she saw me. She doesn't know me..." his voice broke and I told him it's okay, he could stop. I nodded to Lilac and she took over comforting him while I walked into the room.

"What's going on?" I asked one of the Doctors. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back in to the hallway. Looking around he gave me a sympathetic look, "Listen honey, your friend is um...in a serious condition called amnesia and it could be permanent. She's freaking out with unknown people all around and you need to give her some space." I nodded, annoyed at the condescending tone he was using against me. He patted my shoulder and walked back into Mary's room.

So my best friend doesn't remember me and there's nothing I can do. I went over to Jack and sat next to him. We sat in complete silence as Lilac stopped comforting him and started her own pacing. Jack and I sat with our hands on our heads and elbows on our knees looking down at the grimy hospital floor.

"This is miserable." I nodded in agreement with him. Neither of us were allowed to see her yet we still waited. I just wanted to go in their and shake her shoulders screaming for her to remember me at the top of my lungs in her face. But I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed. Giving Jack a little smile I stood up. Doctors can't stop me right now. I want to see Mary and they wouldn't stop me. I was either going to make her amnesia have amnesia and go away or make her want to be my best friend all over again.