Chapter 11: The Harsh Truth

Leaving Ann behind in the room I walked out, more like limped out on crutches. My arm hurt but I couldn't care, all I wanted was to see Mary. I walked down the long stupid hallway and turned a corner towards the elevator to get information. I got in and pressed the Lobby button. The doors were about to close when there was a hand that pulled the door back. "Um...Sean?"

-------------------------------------

After seeing Sean in the elevator he took me to go get coffee and talk. Since I couldn't leave the hospital we went to the gift shop where they had coffee which we drank in the cafeteria. We talked for a while before I got tired and had to leave. As soon as I got back upstairs to my room I remembered that I hadn't looked for Mary. I sighed and got adjusted in bed.

I finally settled in when the door opened. I groaned and looked over to see who it was. My mouth gaped open in surprise as Jack walked in. "Um...hey. You're Ally, right?" I nodded, too surprised to speak. He smiled at me and then looked down. Ann caught my eye and giggled before pointing Jack to the chair and leaving, giving me a wink as she closed the door.

Jack sat down next to me awkwardly. Ann confused me by winking, I didn't tell her about my dilemma. I looked at Jack and finally got courage to speak. "Not to be rude, but um....why are you here?" Confusion settled on my face and he looked down, ashamed. I was even more confused, why would he be ashamed?

"I thought you knew..." he whispered. I started getting worried. "Is it Mary?! Is she okay?! Do you know where she is?! Can I see her?!" I started off slowly, speeding up and getting louder. Tears started streaming out of my eyes and I looked at Jack who started to sniffle. "Mary...she....she..." he started, "I can't do this!" he got up and ran out of my room.

I curled up as much as I could with a broken leg and arm. So many questions swirled in my head. What if she was dead? Why wouldn't I know?! Nobody told me??? Jack knew before I did? What's going on?! Why her!!!! I spent the whole night crying my eyes out. Ann hadn't come back yet and I didn't know what to think. If Mary's dead, I might as well be... Why couldn't it have been me?