CHAPTER 33

Ni-ki stood still as Jake threw the photo to his face.

Heeseung and Jay came back to their base safely and handed the photo to Jake while explaining the entire scenario that happened in the 'Neo' club.

And now, an angered Jake was busy reprimanding Ni-ki for whatever bullshit he had done in that office.

"You were sent to spy on them, just to spy! Not to get some border-line sociopath to fall in love with you or something!" He roared with his fist on the table.

"He isn't in love with me." Ni-ki said through his gritted teeth, his jaw clenching tightly. Jake ignited at this, "Oh yeah!? Then why is he roaming around killing people in your name?"

Why is it so easy for him to kill for your sake?

"He probably hates me or something for lying to him." Ni-ki said blatantly. "No one goes to such extents just because they were lied to." Sunghoon silenced him.

"Just tell me one thing. Was he really smitten with you?" Heeseung asked. "No, not at all. In fact, he suspected me for a long time, but after that....he kinda just changed." Ni-ki spoke.

"There, that was when he was obsessed with you." Jay said scornfully, "I guess he's the type who believes he can see through anything."

"So when he thought Ni-ki was trustable, he put his entire trust into him, believing ni-ki as much as he believed himself. But then you.." Jay trailed off.

But then you burnt it up.

A tense silence prevailed in the hall. Heeseung thought that this was probably one of the few times he would ever see the whole Nidra so troubled.

"What now?" Heeseung asked, despite the answer already being known to him. It was just that he needed the others to say it, he wanted them to confirm it.

"What else, we kill him." Sunghoon spoke.

Perhaps there was dirt in Heeseung's eyes for somehow he felt like he saw Ni-ki panick when he heard Sunghoon say those words.

But his doubts were cemented when Jay asked from the corner, "Why do you look troubled, Ni-ki?" His voice was cold, threatening and all sorts of unnerving.

"I'm not." Ni-ki said tightly. Jake narrowed his eyes at Ni-ki, then a sinister smile broke on his face, "You're not troubled, right? Are you sure of that?"

"I am very much sure." Ni-ki answered, his voice showing clear frustration. He sounded like he wanted to kill someone, wanted to be anywhere else except this moment.

"Good, for you're the one killing that Sunoo."

"What?" Came Ni-ki's soft voice.

Heeseung felt himself recognise the tone Ni-ki used. It was the same tone he used every time he put Jay over the devil, the same one he used to comfort himself in the name of Jay.

But why would Ni-ki use such a voice for the one who was threatening the Nidra. Why would he show so much care for someone who clearly wants to ruin his only home?

"You heard me, you are the one who's going to slit that rat's throat open." Jake smiled coldly, causing Ni-ki to recoil back due to the venom he held in his words.

Then, the melancholy of the situation settled in.

The light from the daylight was already lost as they completed their conversation. The warmth  from the lamp was negligible in the cold wind that poured out from the windows.

But the most saddening thing in the room was Ni-ki's eyes.

Heeseung wished he could say something that would comfort the boy, something that might fuel him, brighten him or maybe even infuriate him.

He just didn't want to see him that sad.

But then again, what was he to do? There was no way he was showing any mercy for Kim Sunoo after what he did, there was no way he'd leave that man after he caused so much chaos for them all.

So, just like everyone else, he hardened his heart and walked past Ni-ki, leaving the boy alone in the place.

He told himself he wouldn't feel a thing, but after catching a glimpse of the other's limp shoulders in the dark with the wind raging past his hair, he couldn't help but frown.

Why did Ni-ki deserve this?

________________________________

Watched the first ep of Iland and realised how shitty Mnet's editors are.

They literally added evil bgm and screen blur to make Ni-ki look like a villain while poor guy was drinking some water.

And also, K is my one true bhayya (BROTHER)