Eventually (Gilly x Jax)

Start from the beginning

Jax silently put his books back inside his book bag. He was still cranky, albeit not that much anymore, but he still was in a displeased mood. Gilly forced herself not to idle, and walked briskly at the boy.

"You good?" she asked, even though she knew he wasn't.

"Yeah, I feel fantastic," he said sarcastically. In spite of what he was feeling, Jax managed to give a weak smile. "Sorry you had to see that, I had to rush out quickly and find him. I didn't even have time to eat."

Gilly nodded sympathetically. "It's fine. Having two rowdy twin brothers banging pots to wake you up for breakfast doesn't compare to that." To Gilly's delight, Jax chuckled a bit. His bad mood was diminishing now that the kids had left and she humored him. "Either way, you still have the most experience between the two of us." He brushed his hair our of his eyes again and Gilly fought with the inner voices in her head. Don't. Even. Think. About. It.

But she did. Jax was always neat and tidy, waking up early to iron his clothes, clean his boots, and brush his hair like the prince he was. But right now, his blond curls were popping up, dangling around his face. His clothes were wrinkly, creases and folds on his dress shirt and pants, his vest not straightened. Not to mention his rolled up sleeve that he didn't bother to pull down. His natural charm was ever-present even if he looked like he had just woken up. Kayla would think it was unfair someone was naturally good-looking, but then again, she herself was a looker.

She knew she was definitely staring. Her stupid crush on him always did that to her.

"Thief?" his voice brought her back to her senses. "You good? You're awfully quiet."

"Yeah," she fibbed. Good thing she knew how to lie. "I was just wondering if you want to come to the cafeteria with me."Okay, most of the time she knew how to lie, but it was the only thing she could think of at that moment to hide the fact she was ogling at him. "You haven't eaten right? I think we have a free period."

Jax' eyes studied her curiously. Gilly forced herself to stay planted, even if the intensity of his violet eyes made her want to shrink away. She made herself seem as nonchalant as possible, though she inwardly grimaced as her cheeks betrayed her, feeling them burn. It wasn't her fault his gaze was intense! And he had violet eyes! Violet! That were pretty and made her calm during stressful situations. That seemed like they could sense anything hidden underneath. The same eyes she's looked at several times, but still manage to take her breath away the same way she first met him years ago (even if he was attempting an escape on the chandelier). Curse those violet eyes!

Finally, Jax spoke. "Okay, but you're buying me an extra."

Gilly suddenly became alert. "Excuse me? I offered to join you in eating. Why do I have to buy another snack for you?"

His mood was definitely sobering up because he grinned in a familiar way she knew all too well. "The look on your face tells me you're surprised I can look like this. Just because I'm a royal doesn't mean I don't have my least presentable moments, thief."

All thoughts of her earlier ogling dissipated, replaced by her familiar joking annoyance. "Don't assume things, Jax. Besides, I thought you usually fixed yourself up."

The blond simply shrugged. "I don't feel like it. There's nothing wrong with me looking like this anyway." He stood up and slipped on his book bag. Then he moved his hands to fold his other sleeve up, hastily folding it the same way as the other. He brushed his hair once more, lingering his fingers much longer to comb stray curls, and smiled at her. "There, good to go."

Oh sweet apple cobbler.

He had to smile of all things. And brush his hair out of his eyes. And look back at her to see as if he had made one of the best decisions he'd ever thought of.