"Lord Yanovich. It's lovely to meet you. I've heard so much about you," Liliya said as she walked over. Even with the heels on, she felt short. Even shorter compared to Yanovich who was nearly as tall as Kirigan - if not taller. Her hand reached out and he took it, shaking her head.

"It is lovely to meet you as well. General Kirigan did not tell me much about you. But I would suggest you call me 'father' from now on. Would you like to sit?" He asked. His voice was like honey. Comforting and warm. It felt like a warm bath after a long day. He seemed kind. His smile warm and genuine as he walked over to the sofa in the corner.

"Yes, of course. We have half an hour before the celebration starts so I think getting to know each other might be a good idea," Liliya said, nodding her head. Lord Yanovich nodded and the two sat down next to each other. Her hands resting in her lap, her fingers fiddling with the soft fabric of the dress. She had never been in something so elaborate. It almost scared her to touch it.

"Have you ever worn anything like this? I imagine living at the Little Palace has afforded you many luxuries," Yanovich said, his hands resting against his suit. He was a man of the military. That was the uniform he was wearing. Pristine and ironed. His medals on display. He was in his late-forties but seemed to have helped Ravka more than Liliya felt she had.

"It has but never something as elaborate or gorgeous. We like to live simply in the Little Palace. It reminds us of who we are. We are not royalty or special, we are simple people like everyone else," Liliya responded, finding her response to be automatic. It had not been the first time the question had come her way and it had been drilled into her long ago that she was meant to be humble.

"What can you do? If that is not a rude question to ask," Lord Yanovich questioned. His smile was soft, he seemed caring. Genuinely curious. That childish sparkle in his eye. Liliya couldn't help but want to show off.

"I'm an Inferni. I can bend flames to my will. Would you like to see?" Liliya asked, glancing around the room. There were multiple fire sources that she could draw from and she had much more control than other Grisha. It would be a spectacle and she hoped it impressed him, not scared him.

"I would be interested, yes," He smiled. Liliya nodded and then glanced around, trying to find where she could land the fire. The candelabra seemed like the best place so she lifted her hands. With a few movements, the fire drew out from the lantern. Arching through the air, splitting into three distinctive streams before landing in the candelabra. The flames of the candles briefly lighting up before dimming once again, "That was beautiful," He said. Liliya grinned. It was nice to see someone compliment the Grisha rather than fear them.

"Thank you. Is there anything about you I would need to know?" Liliya asked as she turned to face him. Some of her nerves had dissipated and the two quickly found themselves chattering. The conversation flowed nicely. They learnt each other's favourite place, favourite food. The toys that Liliya used to play with and Yanovich gave her a brief summary of his military achievements. Much of this information had been given to her by Kirigan. She had to commit it to memory but she let him talk, reminisce. He seemed content. His almond eyes shining with delight at the memories of his long lost friends.

Liliya found herself trailing off of her rant about the exquisite taste of pastries when she saw Kirigan stood by the door. He was dressed in all black as usual. The black kefta only seemed to make him more attractive and she had to stop herself from staring at him. They had a guest with them after all.

"Is it time?" Liliya asked. Lord Yanovich turned around to face Kirigan who simply nodded. He then stepped away and Liliya took a deep breath. Now to pretend to be someone she knew she wasn't. Kirigan had faith in her. She knew she could pretend but it didn't make her heart thump any slower. It didn't stop her hands from shaking as she looped her arm with Lord Yanovich's. The two of them beginning their walk towards the celebration.