♠️The Photo Booth Pt. 3♠️

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" Tyler asked, voicing the same thing I was wondering aloud.

She presented the card, laying it flat on the table, and pointing at it. "What do you see, here?"

"A prisoner, obviously," Tyler said, clearly in the same boat as me, in not seeing anything more to it.

"Right," she said, nodding along. "And do you see the suit of the card? It's in hearts."

I shook my head, still not seeing it clearly, but I was starting to get an idea. One that I didn't welcome with open arms, but one that I knew was probably true, depending on what she told me next. "Okay... What does that mean?"

She cocked her head, scrutinizing me for a moment, before her focus shifted downwards to something. I looked where her eyes were directed, and with a start, I saw Tyler's hand resting just next to mine, his pinkie finger lightly touching mine. I hasn't even noticed that it was there. I looked back at the lady, whom was studying me intently, and blushed under her intense gaze.

She opened her mouth, about to say something, then thought better of it. Instead, she said,"Well, this particular card can have lots of interpretations, but one of the most common ones is that the holder of it is trapped, unable to love who they want do to it being an unfavorable affair. It means that you might be in love, or at least want to be in love with someone, but either you're afraid to, barricading yourself against it; another possibility is stifling what you feel for someone due to what others, including that person, may think."

I swallowed uneasily, processing her words slowly. I went I've them, turning them each over and over in my head, making sure I heard everyone right. But I know I did; I know I did, because I know it was true. It was so Goddamn true. And God, did I wish it weren't true. It would make everything so much easier for me. It would be rid of complicated feelings and thoughts that I've been constantly warranting, so desperately wishing I wasn't.

"So basically," Tyler said, catching me by surprise,"you're saying that Troye is interested in someone, but doesn't think he should be?"

She nodded gravely. "Sadly, it is not uncommon for that card to be pulled. But I do think, from what I can tell, that this case is a bit... Different from the rest."

I glanced at Tyler, taking in his thoughtful, open face, and looked back at the serious face of the fortune-teller, and suddenly, I just couldn't take it anymore. I stood up from the seat, bracing my hands against the table separating us, and managed to say in a tired voice,"I think that's enough. Thank you for your time." She nodded, looking at me in sympathy. I had to look away; I didn't feel like having sympathy from strangers on my shoulders right now.

Tyler got up slowly, clearly baffled by my abrupt change in demeanor. He followed me at a speedy pace out of the booth, which already has a line full of impatiently waiting people bulking up outside of it, and caught up next to me after a moment. "Troye, is everything alright? Was it something she said back there?"

I moved my head side to side in a brisk motion, shaking myself out of my self-absorbed moment back there. "I'm fine Tyler, really. I just needed a breather, I guess."

After getting further away from the obnoxious crowd, and closer to the more abandoned and left-alone looking booths, I eventually started to slow my pace, feeling exhaustion creeping up on me already, after such a short walk. Tyler slowed with me, looking grateful that he didn't have to keep up so much anymore. I met his eyes, and saw concern flooding in them. Rushing to reassure him, I said again,"Honestly, Tyler, I'm alright."

He nodded silently, still not looking like he quite believed me. He approached me, and rested a hand gently on my forearm, rubbing the bare skin there in a comforting gesture. "Okay. Alright. As long as you're okay..." he trailed off, looking unsure of himself. I couldn't blame him; that episode back there had to be confusing for him.