Goodbyes

DISCLAIMER I OWN NOTHING EXCEPT THE PLOT AND OC'S!!! ALL RIGHTS GO TO RICK RIORDAN!!!!

Nico's POV 

After the whole quest debate in the infirmary, Will brought me a small breakfast, and let me rest for the rest of the day. I mean I wasn't mad; I got to spend the entire day in the same room as Will. 

After his final shift was over and he made sure all of his patients were comfortable, he took off his doctors coat, pulled up a chair, and sat down next to my bed. 

"Fuck." He mumbled as he put his head in his hands.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I asked.

He took a deep breath. "I'll be fine. It's just stress. Nothing I can't handle."

I ran my hand through his curly gold hair. "The stress of healing is just like the stress of a battle. Just because you're not physically fighting doesn't mean you're not emotionally fighting."

He looked at me with a mix of admiration and confusion. "How in Zeus' seven sins did you even think to say that?"

"Because my boyfriend just so happens to be an amazing doctor who repeatedly tells me not to put stress on my body. I just so happens that the same thing goes for you."

"Elaborate please?" He asked.

I thought for a second. "Think about it like this: I'm in a battle. Now I can easily fight an enemy for a while before I physically strain myself, but there's also an emotional side to it to. Being able to morally fight and kill something isn't easy. It's the same thing with being a healer. Sure, you're running around all day, but just like fighting, emotions play a big part too. You healers want nothing but to help the wounded, and sometimes you can't always do that. Having a patient die on your hands can't be easy to deal with. No matter if you're fighting, healing, or even living a normal life, you're going to encounter some type of stress. You just have to be able to handle it."

Will was out of words. He repeatedly opened and closed his mouth like he was going to say something; but I think he was too stunned.

Finally he said. "You're very intelligent, aren't you Nico?" 

I grabbed his hand and rubbed circles on the back of it with my thumb. "I'm not intelligent, I just learned to be observant."

"What do you mean?" 

"Ever since the Titan war. . . Actually, ever since you became a healer, you had a reputation of keeping your patients alive. And when you couldn't, you'd blame yourself for it, even if it was something you can't control. And whenever a patient, or even just a camper would die, you'd put their picture up in the spare room. And I've never seen you ever try to relieve the stress. It's always you working. Not going to lie, it took me a while to figure it out; you're pretty good at hiding your emotions."

"Healers have to be strong Nico. We don't have time to show emotions, especially in battle."

I scoffed. "Now Solace, I want you to tell me how many times I have said that to you. I always thought you couldn't afford to relieve your emotions in battle, and look who changed my mind. Spoiler alert, it was you. It's literally the same thing. So stop being a hypocrite and realize it's okay to show emotions or relieve stress. Okay?"

Will sighed. "How the hell did I get so lucky with you di Angelo?" 

I shrugged. "Part of this was you too. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have told you to fuck off. You have a good influence on me, I guess."