A Bittersweet Farewell

Start from the beginning

Reign watched, emotionless, as John fought to breathe. Within no less than a minute John was dead and Reign...

Reign wasn't feral.

He wasn't wild or bloodthirsty or murderous. He was uncharacteristically calm. Poised, even.

"I have something worth fighting for now," Reign mumbled. His dark gaze met mine, a small smirk playing on his lips. "I know you thought I would succumb to the star. But, Venus, what brought you back from the brink of insanity?"

My Mate.

Realization and pride flooded my entire being as I caught onto his meaning. "You used Beta Ryan as a reason to resist the sixth star's claim."

Reign nodded, shifting back to his normal state. A soft smile overcame his serene face. His eyes glazed over for a brief moment. After sharing a peculiar look with Beta Ryan, he glanced at Leo and I and asked, "How well can you guys braid?"

 After sharing a peculiar look with Beta Ryan, he glanced at Leo and I and asked, "How well can you guys braid?"

In a Healer's home hidden within the trees, an assembly of Werewolves stood firm in the face of heartbreak. The salt of unshed tears clung to our dirty clothes, forcing us to smile through the rising pain. It was a poor atmosphere for a wedding. But, the couple in question had no choice.

It was the only thing Reign knew would ease Sky's pain in her dying moments.

She's always wanted to see a wedding. She loves the vows. I know she does. I heard her tell me once when we were pups. Back when she used to work so hard for my affection.

"I choose you as my partner," Beta Ryan began. His soft voice lifted our eyes to where he stood at the end of Sky's bed. Sky's pale face cracked into a small smile as she watched him take her brothers trembling hands in his.

"Forevermore will our lives be entwined," Reign replied. His smaller hands grasped his Mate tightly. They were in love. And yet, heartbroken.

To be reciting the Oath of Marriage under such circumstances were the wants of no couple.

"In this lifetime and the next, I claim you as mine." Beta Ryan's promise brought an even bigger smile to Sky's muted lips. She glanced towards Flora excitedly. Not even paying attention to the slab of shrapnel protruding from her chest. Flora wiped her face clean of all agony, returning the smile with a soft one of her own.

Without the safety of red lipstick hiding her true emotions, Flora was defenseless. I saw it in the way the corner of her lips dipped up and down. She was struggling to maintain her smile for Sky.

"Watch them," she murmured. Flora stroked Sky's sweaty hair gently. When she complied and turned to look back at the couple, Flora, hid her face in Pride's chest. She cried with no sound. Pride could do nothing but wrap his arms around her and watch.

"I will honor you and you alone." Reign's glassy stare wavered between happiness and misery. He wore a look of finally being complete. But also being torn in half at the same time.