chapter 2

"Girls! come here this second" Called Ms. J as soon as Subirah had left the room. "Yes, Ms. J," they said.

"Now, this new girl, whatever her name is.." she started. "Subirah" interrupted Muthla. "Yes, whatever, I don't exactly care about her name, anyway, no more interruptions, she happens to be stupid enough to think this is in a school" everyone gasped.

"Yes, I know, it's unbelievable, but anyway, no one is to tell her this is an orphanage otherwise she will try to escape, and you know what happens when anyone tries to escape here, and we don't want her complaining."

As soon as Ms. J finished her talk, the girls went back to doing their chores, and they could see Rashida doing exactly what she was told Not to do"

Multhla looked around the room, then opened the glass door and waved to Subirah, who never even realized she was being waved to. "Subirah" whispered Muthla. Subirah finally turned around to face muthla, who was standing by the glass door of the library, and yelled out, "what is it?"

"Muthla signaled her to Shush! then whispered, "You're not supposed to take water from there, you're supposed to take water from the lake, not the pond. And before she could finish her sentence, fish were flopping in one of the buckets.

"Oh, sorry, I suppose we can take these and eat them later, or I can take them to my mom when I visit her on the weekend," said Subirah holding up the fish.

Multhla Just slapped her forehead and went inside the library to do her chore. "Isn't that new girl strange?" asked Majida.

"Well, kind of.." said Muthla

"No, like really really weird," said Majida.

"I suppose so, but poor her, I wonder how she ended up here," said Muthla.

The chore session was over, and now the orphans were taking turns to get a shower. Muthla always had this secret for herself, that last shower cubical was always clean because no one ever used it, She always told everyone it smelt, and she put up a sign saying that it's not working, so the orphans don't bother going in there, and non of the caretakers bother either.

It was nighttime after an extremely long day, for Subirah. They followed the same routine they had the other day, and Subirah had already started having this weird feeling by now.

"Subirah, you know this isn't a school " whispered muthla a few minutes after the lights were off, no one heard them whispering, all everyone in the hall could hear is the rustling of Bella's chocolate/crisps bag, where does he get all that from?

"No, it's school, except not proper school," said Subirah, fixing her clothes on the bed. "Well, yeah that kind of thing," said Multhla secretly whishing she could tell Subirah about the orphanage, but the other half of her was scared of Ms. J.

The next day was a guest visit day, where foster parents come to meet the orphans and decide whom they will take. Everyone dressed well that day, and even Subirah was given a nice dress, and her hair was done in neat box braids, and they didn't have to do chores, they just did some school and that's it.

No one told Subirah anything, and everyone decided to keep quiet as she was twirling around in her new dress, and looking at her box braids in the mirror, she looked fine.

Again, Ms. J called Multhla and some girls and told them not to say anything to Muthla, the foster parents who were coming today already had a few kids in mind and there was no need for Subirah to be there, so she will be sent to help Auntie cook lunch.

After everyone was ready, Ms. J brought some perfume and sprayed every orphan with it, just to cover up their horrid smell.

She sprayed Subirah too, then as the class went down to the reception, Ms. J held Subirah's hand, like a little baby, and was taking her to the kitchen. In the hallway, there were little kids walking by, some of them also going to meet the foster parents, and suddenly, Subirah spotted Raya.