Brothers

Hereford Base; Briefing Room 1

May 18th, 2021

Derek POV

You were sitting on a chair while Mark was going over the photo he got after hacking into a set of Cameras.

NATO: So what this means is that if we don't do something about this, we're going to have a lot of problems. And it's not going to be easy either. Just from this image we can confirm that there are 5 men and women who are already using the serum. However, we don't have a definite amount of how many there actually are with the serum today or beforehand.

Bulldog: So what can we even do. Sean is injured and Derek can't even walk without worrying about his hip.

Demo: Yea, and I have no clue where to even start with this.

Derek: Just because I can't walk right now, doesn't mean I can't bark orders at you.

Demo: Got a plan boss?

Derek: A small one yes.

You got up from the chair with your crutches and moved towards the table.

Derek: Mark, you have any clue where you got this?

NATO: An abandoned facility in Moscow, Russia.

Derek: Robert, I want you and NATO to get there and do reconnaissance. Get a lay out of the place, get pictures, and gather info. John, Ashley, I want you two on standby with the pilot in case they get caught. However, you guys shouldn't have that problem considering you guys would find a vantage point.

Demo: It'll be done boss.

The four started to move out of the room but you stopped Ashley before she passed you.

Derek: If things go south, be careful. We don't know this threat so, don't do anything stupid.

Ashley: Hey, I have three others to rely on. I'll be fine Derek.

Derek: Just be careful, don't want to see you in the same situation as I'm in right now.

Ashley: I'll be with John, he's basically my shield.

You let her walk by as you leaned back in your chair.

Mickey: Sucks doesn't it.

Derek: Tell me about it, what am I supposed to do while stuck in this fucking chair.

Mickey: Could just stand up.

Derek: There isn't a point considering I can't even walk. I can't workout, I can't even do the simplest thing as take a piss.

Mickey: I didn't know your dick got caught in the crossfire?

Derek: I meant I have to sit down dumbass.

Mickey: Well the most we can do is just wait it out until they get back. A leader isn't always the one who has to be the first to rush into battle.

Derek: Me and John are always first in last out. Can't leave all the fun to him.

Mickey: However he knows when shit goes south, same with you. But you know what makes him different?

Derek: What.

Mickey: He cares about the team just as much as you do, however he relies on his squad aswell, he relies on you. He knows who has his back and who he wants to make sure is safe over his. You put your own life on the line even though those who have your back, are pushed away from you.

Derek: Because I don't want to see anyone else in my squad killed.

Mickey: And look where that's gotten you, a bullet straight to the hip can do alot, and now they're on a mission without us, let alone Franklin can't even go on it either because he has to care for you.

Derek: Since when were you a father figure.

Mickey: Since you decided to be brash and throw your life over others. We need a leader, however we also need to protect our leader aswell. We can't do that when you're making sure we're safe and only us. It's what's going to get you killed. Ashley doesn't want that to happen, I don't want it to happen, hell even Veronica doesn't want that to happen. She brings it up all the time when she finds out you were a casualty.

Derek: I just know her because of you.

Mickey: While thats true, she also cares about you. She reads the reports I send her and then always questions you being under the casualty list. I have to then explain to her that it was because you didn't want me being involved. She's greatful that you cherish my life, however she doesn't want you getting killed because of it.

Derek: I see what you mean, I guess it secure after everything that happened, I just never want to see someone close to me die, especially if it was because of me.

Mickey: If I was in your spot, I would feel the same. However, I would know when to control myself. You know Jordan Peterson right?

Derek: Yea, he's an inspirational man who knows how to get people motivated.

Mickey: I used to listen to him all the time back in Afghanistan before we would go on missions but I feel as though this one suits you. He once said to young men that they should be a monster. That the stereotype is that they should be harmless, virtuous, you shouldn't do anyone any type of harm, that you should sheathe your competitive instinct, that you shouldn't try to win and be too aggressive or assertive. You want to take a back seat. You know what he said to all of that?

Derek: What did he say?

Mickey: He said wrong, that you should be a monster. And then when you feel that moment, you learn to control it. That's you right now Derek, you're finding that moment of being a monster for 4 years, however you haven't controlled it yet.

Derek: I really never thought of myself as that.

Mickey: Blind rage can only get you so far, however having that rage, that skill, that objective, but knowing what you're doing, can turn you into a beast. However you need to control that anger first and then use it to your advantage.

Derek: *laughs* I liked you better when you just made snarky remarks and acted clueless.

Mickey: I'm alot of things Derek, you showed me that. Now it's time I showed you what you can be.

He used his crutches and moved closer to you and put his fist out.

Mickey: Brothers to the end Derek.

You lowered your balaclava and smirked. You put your fist up and hit his.

Derek: Brothers to the very end.