Y6 S1

Quebec, Canada; Stadium

Derek POV

You stared at the man with a shocked expression that no one else could see.

Derek: Mr. Hughes?

Mr. Hughes: I see you still recognized this old man after so long.

Derek: I could never forget the father to my lovers face.

Mr. Hughes: Care to have a little chat?

Derek: Lead the way sir.

New Location: Bench outside of stadium

You sat next to the man as he you both stared out to see cars drive by and the occasional bird flying past.

Mr. Hughes: It really has been awhile.

Derek: Yes, it has.

He noticed the sorrow in your voice

Mr. Hughes: It wasnt your fault for what happened.

Derek: I'm just sorry that the first time I met you, was for a terrible reason.

Mr. Hughes: While you're not wrong that it was a bad first meeting, I'm just glad she was able to spend her last moments with the person she loved.

Derek: But I-

Mr. Hughes: Dont be so hard on yourself son, its how war goes. We all sacrificed our lives for the better of our country.

Derek: I was the squad leader though, I was supposed to protect her with my own life.

Mr. Hughes: A leader is no good if they're the first ones gone.

Derek: I couldve atleast done something to save her and Stone. I always wished that I was the one who was shot.

Mr. Hughes: You need to keep looking forward, where would you end up if you keep looking behind.

Derek: How am I supposed to look forward if I can't even do the simplest thing as protecting her.

Mr. Hughes: Because I still look forward. It's been 4 years however it still feels like it was yesterday, but what keeps me going forward is knowing that she died happy.

Derek: She really was a beautiful woman.

Mr. Hughes: She got that from her mother.

Derek: Her stubbornness from you aswell.

Mr. Hughes: *chuckles* Yea she did always want to be like me.

It was quiet for a bit until you started silently laughing.

Derek: I still remember the first time I laid eyes on her during basic. Her face was so angelic but her eyes showed determination.

Mr. Hughes: I was very proud to see her standing tall after basic.

Derek: Whenever we sparred I used to play around with her since I could never take her serious. It was to the point where she actually ended up kicking my shin as hard as she could. Looking back at it now, I'm pretty sure she fractured it.

Mr. Hughes: She was always Fiesty when it came to pushing her limits. *starts getting up* Alright, I beat be heading back to the states. It was good to finally see you again... Derek.

He moved his hand up in front of you and you took it. He helped you up and you both gave a firm handshake.

Derek: It was good to see you Mr. Hughes, I'll be sure to come visit from time to time.

Mr. Hughes: Do as you please, we enjoy the company. You've grown so much.

Derek: I have to ask though, how did you know my name?