Call me by your name

Start from the beginning

They locked their gaze on each other as the train conductor strolled in front of Louis and closed the door to Harry's carriage. They were only a door apart but it already felt like miles, soon it would be.

Harry looked away from Louis' slouching figure on the platform, he couldn't bear to look at him as he left, he couldn't even say an actual goodbye.

'Goodbye' felt like they were never going to see each other again, Harry didn't want that to be true, neither did Louis, so instead they said nothing. Hopefully nothing was better than goodbye.

Harry never told Louis that he loved him, but that didn't mean that he didn't. Of course he loved him, deeply in fact. Louis had burrowed his way into Harry's heart in a matter of minutes, and stayed there for the entirety of Harry's time in Italy, even when he gets back to America, Louis will still have large space in his heart, a space that will now be filled with sorrow and pain but most importantly an, unforgettable, and addictive love.

Louis walked a few steps forward as the train left the station, Harry no longer in view. He knew this day was bound to come, he knew Harry couldn't stay with him forever but it didn't mean he couldn't dream.

The feeling that settled in his chest as the train got further away from him was heavy and painful, it felt like it was causing actual damage to him. He had heard the saying 'my heart got ripped in two' but he'd never felt it himself. But this... this was more than just ripped, he felt like his heart had been smashed or beaten or anything that could sum up the torturous feeling he had.

Once the train was gone and the silence returned it felt different, heavier than when Harry was here and they were silent. Maybe because before Harry was still there, he may not have been speaking but Louis knew he was there, now he's not. He's gone.

Louis sat down on one of the benches his hands joined in his lap as he tilted his head back to look at the sky for a minute, breathing deeply, willing himself not to cry.

He fiddled with his hands as he looked around, the sounds of birds and crickets the only other noise he could hear.

He was wearing Harry's shirt, the one he wore when he first arrived in Italy, he had to roll the sleeves up otherwise it was too big. Somehow the feeling of knowing it was Harry's eased something deep inside of Louis. Made him feel calmer.

He eventually picked himself up from the bench and walked over to the telephone box, he put in the coins and dialled his home number.

"Mafalda?" He questioned when he heard the phone get picked up. "Mum?.... yeah it's me." He sighed and listened to his mother's soothing voice. "Yeah, everything is fine. I'm at the station... in Clusone." His voice broke slightly but he managed to cover it up. "Listen, mum, can you..." His voice started to tremble and there's no way he could hide it now. "Can you come get me mum?" He whispered as tears finally started to spill down his rosy cheeks.

~

By the time his mum had arrived Louis' eyes were red-rimmed and he still had tear marks on his cheeks and his eyes were more grey than blue. He got into the car without speaking a word, afraid his voice would give away every feeling he had at the moment. Feelings that were just too vulnerable to share.

His mum didn't try and get him to speak, she just drove with a cigarette in one hand the other on the steering wheel and the wind brushing through her hair.

Louis had his elbow leant on the window and his hand on his forehead, staring off into nothing, too many thoughts were clouding his mind.

His mother looked at him with a sad smile and reached over to stroke her hand through his feathery brown hair while keeping her eyes on the road. The small act caused more tears to form in Louis' aching eyes as he covered his face with his hand when the tears fell.