𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚

M O L L Y
November 2018

"Here we are..." Camille breathed.

"Yeah..." I whispered, turning to look at her.

"Can you believe it?" Her smile was wide and excited. She didn't seem to be nervous at all. But why would she be? This is what she was made for, what she had worked towards forever. It was her dream, our dream to be exact. Working in a high-class fashion magazine. Stuff like this didn't happen to everyone, and even though it was her dad who actually got us in, we wouldn't let that slow us down because there we were in front of Vogue house London.

"Maybe pinch me, and we will see.." I chuckled, trying to gaze through the huge glass doors. "I think we need to go inside before we are starting to look like idiots just standing here."

Camille grabbed my arm and nudged me towards the rotating doors. "You are damn right!"

The Vogue house was everything I had always imagined. White walls, high ceilings, shining marble floors, minimalistic but outstanding decor pieces and beautiful wall art. Busy looking people walked crisscross around the huge hallway. Everyone minded their own business, looking elegant and smart. Camille pulled my arm, leading me towards the front desk where a bold, older-looking man sat behind. My eyes travelled on the wall behind him, which was covered with old Vogue magazines.

"Molly... Focus!" Camille whispered to my ear before turning to face the man behind the desk.

"Excuse me, sir. Hey, I am Camille Dahlman, and this is Molly Andersson. We are here for the international intern program. Do you know where we should go?"

"All the interns go into the conference room sixteen on the second floor. Here are your badges. They will get you through the doors and elevators."

"Thank you so much!" We both smiled at the same time before we headed towards the massive marble stairs.

•••

Just moments later, the conference room was full of interns. Everyone had taken their seats around the O-shaped table, and we were waiting for further instructions. Three people were standing on the other side of the room. They were talking to each other, sometimes gazing at us and then talking again. They all had dressed smartly, and just by quickly looking at them, you knew they worked here.

"Okay, everyone should be here by now. I am Madeline Harris, one of your mentors." A woman with dark, almost burgundy hair gathered up in a high ponytail stepped forward. She glanced around the table before crossing her arms.

"Vogue is one of the most iconic fashion magazines out there. We have always stood as an impalpable and eminent fashion guide for women of all ages and all across the world. We are always looking to develop and score higher, and that is why you are here today. We seek young talent who possess a high passion for fashion. If you are here to stay, you need to impress us with your ideas and stand out on the chosen program for you. And if you fail to do so, you will be dropped out after five months."

"Don't scare them on their first day Madeline!" A man on her left spoke, shaking his head in amusement.

"It's just the harsh reality, Steve," Madeline said, shrugging and grabbed a pile of papers from the table. So that was Steve. The Steve who had gotten us into this program in the first place.

"You will be placed into different sections or departments either related to advertising, editorial or documentation. Your core tasks will be to run errands and assist with whatever comes ahead."

She took a deep breath before continuing, "Everyone placed in advertising will come with me, editorial interns will go with Steve, and documentation inters with Willow here." She nodded towards a woman who hadn't said a word to us yet. She was standing there, intensely watching, which made me feel like she saw right through us all, already making decisions on who would fail and who would make it.