20 | The After Effect

Start from the beginning

The bedroom is assigned to you by Vincent and is the second best room in this shelter at the moment—according to him. He said that you and Norman deserve your own room and best of the best after all the blood, sweat, and tears you two had poured. His praises are quite overwhelming sometimes, to be honest.

The room is spacious, smaller than the one in Lambda but still larger than your needs. There's a double bed in the middle, a night stand, wardrobe, set of table and chairs, and a large window behind the set. The wind enters your room and slowly blow the curtains, the howling is soft in your ears and you once again everything become so calm.

You go to the wardrobe first and find some set of clean clothes and a few night gowns. After taking off all blood-stained fabric in your body, you slip into the night gown and drop your body to the bed. There's a little creak when you fall and then the silence is back again.

You don't want to sleep, if you have preferance. There's so much thing to do and you prefer to be a help for the others. But after the escape finished, there's an invisible knot holding your chest and your shoulders. The knot is chocking you, holding yourself from relishing your freedom despite finally accomplishing your goal. As if you're breaking out of a cage just to find yourself in another enclosure.

"Hahh..." You blow an audible sigh and cover the half up of your face with your hand.

The uneasiness is strangely familiar. When did you feel it last time?

Oh, right. It's when you're at the top of the chasm.

〰️

A cry.

A scream.

A beg.

Then a pool of red liquid at your ankles.

Blood.

It's stained in the whole of you. It colors your skin and drenched your shirts.

You stumbled upon a something that suddenly appear and fall to the pool. Your hand clench around the liquid and you take a look at that is pouring from your palm to your hand, then your elbow.

The view is becoming blur and you can't see clearly beside the red drops.

You take a glance back at the thing behind you, and you fall sit and gasp loudly when you see it's a corpse wearing Lambda's lab coat.

With a heavy pant and pale face, you clumsily crawl back to make a sufficient distance from the body, the one that you killed.

"It was necessary ... " you mumbled.

Was it really?

"I must ... they're threats." You gulped. "For the plan."

Then ... Is a limp man who was in the verge of his death also a threat? They had been injured beyond saving and yet ...

I still kill them.

"The children is my priority ... their lives, are not." The words encouraged you before. However, the way it sounds just now was off.

You didn't sound right. You sound horrible.

The researchers also has family ... Some might have children just like me.

"No..."

I made their family lost their beloved.

"They killed my family too! It's just fair!" You shouted.

It was fair, it is supposed to be fair.

It's not.

It wasn't your fight for justice, neither was it a revenge.