Chapter 29 - My Finest Hour

Only minutes had passed, but each one weighed heavily on me. I sat down on the dirt in front of Reu and put my head in my hands. If he didn't come back for some reason, Severus and I would have to figure out how to deal with Voldemort ourselves.  I felt a shift in the air, and I looked up.  I saw a black, fast moving shape coming towards me, and I hurried and stood, drawing my wand. The shape landed and began to solidify. It was Severus. I let out a breath and put my hand over my chest, feeling my heart pounding uncomfortably. I should have remembered his ability to fly without a broom, but it looked completely different coming right at me than it did in the movies. Severus strode up to me, not saying anything, just looking at me. I could see his eyes settle on my face, which probably looked a little battered.

"What has happened?" he asked, his eyes squinting in obvious concern for me.

"Professor Stone is gone. Most likely for good. Reu is gone, but hopefully not for good. If everything goes well, he will rejoin his body soon," I answered, providing as much information as simply as I could.

He nodded in acknowledgement. "I have to go. I am being summoned. I'm sorry," he said, and I looked to see his fist clenched. I assumed it was Voldemort calling for him with his mark.

"I understand. Please be careful," I said, worried about him.

"Please do the same," Severus said, stepping up to gently stroke my cheek where Ermias had hit me.

"I will," I said, putting my hand over his, turning my head to kiss his hand. He stepped back, his eyes locked with mine, then he flew off to meet with The Dark lord. I looked at Reu. Why was he not back yet!? I thought it would be almost instantaneous, but it wasn't something I knew for sure. I didn't know how long the previous Avia had been standing there, dripping wet, before I had taken her place... not long enough to dry off at least.

I heard something behind me, like the soft crunch of shoes on rocky ground, and I wondered if maybe Severus had returned. Before I could spin around, strong arms grabbed around my waist from behind. I spun hard, freeing my arm and swinging my elbow in one swift movement. I felt my elbow connect with something hard, hitting its target.

"You little bitch!!!" I heard as I reached for my wand. It was all a flurry of movement, and I was too close to my attacker to even see who it was yet. It didn't matter. I pulled my wand and pointed, stepping back quickly to create some space between us. He was quicker, and he grabbed my wrist hard, twisting with so much force that my wand dropped from my hand. I cried out at the pain, almost a scream, and he pulled me into him, yanking me by my wrist. He grabbed my hair with his other hand, wrenching my head back to where my face was right under his. I struggled, kicking at his legs, trying to land a knee in his crotch. He tightened his grip even more, and I grunted in pain.

"Stop! Or I will make you scream," he said, and I had no choice but to stop... his iron grip biting into my arm, my neck pulled back almost to the point of injury. I looked at him. His white-blond hair and his angled features hinted to me that this was Lucius. He was as strikingly handsome as the movie version, except he was shorter and more compact, his muscles in his neck bulging with his effort to hold me. I had one hand on his arm, and I couldn't get a good grip because of the size and hardness of his muscles. One would think the movie version of Lucius would be a caricature of this Realm's Lucius, but it seemed to be the opposite. If this was truly Lucius, I knew he was a powerful wizard, as well as a dangerous Death Eater. I spat in his face, and I'm not sure what I was even thinking when I did that. His rough treatment of me had sparked my anger, as well as my failed attempt to fight him off. Plus, he was hurting my neck, and it was already sore from where Ermias had hit me. I immediately wished I had more self control, but I was surprised when he pushed me away from him.