Chapter 18

"Stop rubbing your face," Dean said. "Hands up. Stop looking off." Dean through another swing and Stiles threw his arm up stopping it and pushing Dean away. "Good. Now, keep doing that."
    "Yep," Stiles gripped his fists tightly. "So, when is Cas going back to Kansas? How's Jack?"
     "It's been a day," Dean rolled his eyes. "Jack is fine, he has the other pack looking out for him and Cas is going there in a few days. Now, pay attention and don't act like I can't see that little tint on your neck."
    "I don't know what you're talking about," Stiles rolled his eyes. "Seriously, it didn't get that far."
    "Right, then stop acting like a little girl and let's get back to the real world," Dean says. "Now." He kicked his leg bringing Stiles down and Jackson and Derek suck in a breath.
     "Stiles are you okay?" Allison asks.
     "Fine," Stiles groans.
     "You aren't pay attention to everything," Dean sighed. "This happens."
     "We can't pay attention to every little thing. We don't have heightened senses," Allison argues.
    "Well, you saw it coming and you didn't help him," Dean rose a brow. "You're a team right?"
     "You act like you've never been taken by surprise before," Stiles rolled his eyes. "We all know you have been. Sam told me a few stories."
    "Well, you don't have the same luxury of coming back from the dead like I have," Dean said. "Now get up."
    "Give me a minute," Stiles shot back. "I'm seeing stars."
    "You're about to see more than stars," Dean rolled his eyes and pulled the kid up. "You'll be fine. Practice aiming. Allison, I'm sure you can help him there."
    "Right," Allison nods. "Are you sure you're okay?"
   "I've had worse," Stiles shrugs and stretches his shoulders out. "Feels better than dying."
    "I'm sure," she laughs and hands him his gun. "Don't shoot your eye out, I'd hate to have clean that up."
    "Well, good thing I'm not the same clumsy kid," Stiles jokes and checks the small hand gun. "Dean gave this to me the first day we trained together. Said it was family friends, someone named Billy or something. I told him that I didn't want to take it if it meant something special, but he insisted. He said, 'kid, this is the best you'll get and I'm not letting you go around empty handed. You're smart and I know you'll take care of it.' I try my best but there's this little scratch here now from France. I haven't been able to get it buffed out. I don't want to have Dean and Sam think I'm incapable of keeping things nice."
    "It will be fine," Allison says. "Dean understands a battle. But, you can easily fix that. My dad has a few things. The armory is stocked of everything we need."
    "Well, I'd hope so because whatever we are facing here... We are gonna need everything we can get. Gerard isn't gonna stop until we're all dead," Stiles shot the target, hitting a centimeter from the middle. "He's gonna strip us down. Get us alone. But, I think we have a secret weapon now."
   "What?"
   "You," He shoots again. "He's still your grandfather. He loved you. Or loves you. If we can get to him through you, then we can get rid of him. You are the only one now. Sure, your dad can see him but he has a soft spot for you. Kate is changed. She's a shifter and Gerard can't stand it. I know that. Chris is his son, but he is working to help wolves and hasn't killed. You were killed and thus if you pretend you want vengeance as you did after your mom. He will gladly take you."
    "So, I'm going undercover?" Allison asked.
   "No," Stiles shook his head. "Too dangerous. I'm not making that call, but if we talk to everyone else about it... Maybe we can figure a safer plan. Right now the safest bet is for you to see him but in a public space. I'm not sending you anywhere near him alone. Actually, I'm like forbidding it."
    "Bossy," she laughs. "Have you tried a bow? Obviously, I am biased but it's quieter."
    "Haven't been able to try," he laughed.
   "Here!" She perked up and hands him the bow. "Okay, take a deep breath. Close your eyes and just feel for a moment. Listen to everything. The wind. The leaves. Which way is the wind blowing? Open your eyes. You see the target. You feel the wind. Move your right hand up an inch. Relax. Draw. Steady. Aim. Shoot." Stiles did as told taking a breath and let's go. "Good, now do it again but try aiming against the wind."
"Right," Stiles sighed. "I still don't understand why I have to learn this shit when I have magic."
"Because, you shouldn't rely on just your power," Allison rose a brow. "You should know that. You have to be able to take care of yourself without it."
"I know," he shook his head. "I still feel like I shouldn't have come in contact with... Scott hates me. He won't even talk to me."
"I heard."
"Did you? Have you seen him?"
"Yeah," she nods. "I guess I had just missed you last night... It was overwhelming."
"It was for me too," Stiles laughed. "But, sorry I left before you got there. If it comes too much..."
"I know," she nods.
"Alright," Dean clapped. "The guys said I need to give you a break. Derek agreed to give you a lesson of his own with the other two fur balls so I am gonna sit back and watch you kick their ass. If not, you owe me."
"It's three against one," Stiles whined. "That's not fair."
"Neither is life kid. And Allison needs to get back on the horse so you got her too. Have each other's backs and get out in those woods the wolves are giving you a ten minute head start. Go. Don't forget to mask your scents," Dean explains. "Oh wait... We agreed that maybe using real bullets was too horrific so we are using electricity. One shot will stun them. Don't worry, it won't hurt too much. Okay, now go."
"Hide and seek?" Stiles wanted to laugh. "We aren't seven."
"Go before time runs up," Dean gestured for them to move. Allison gave the other kid a look before pulling him into the trees.
"Take your jacket off," Stiles pulled them to a stop. "Throw it in that pile of sticks and leaves but bury it. I am going to leave a shirt in a tree further that way. We have to get a trap though. Start something and I'll help when I get back."
"I thought this was stupid?" She mused.
"It is but I don't want to lose," he shrugged "Hurry, we have six minutes and forty seven seconds until they come." She laughed but started on a trap. Stiles threw his flannel over a high branch a mile or so down. Made more footsteps going the other way and made it seem like they had climbed a tree. He traced the steps carefully so there wasn't multiple tracks leading in different directions. He set a second trap by creating a large hole in the ground."
"How much time do we have?" Allison asks.
"Four minutes. Okay run that last wire and we have to get to water. It's the only way to mask our ascents completely," he explained. "There's a creek near here, it's about two miles that way. I can cover our tracks with leaves." He circled his finger and let the leaves fall around them and they quickly made it to the creek with seven seconds to spare. He gave Allison a look when the signal was sounded.
"What do we do if they get close?" She whispered.
"We shoot," he shrugged. "We have to get somewhere more hidden though. That rock." She nods and they move slowly trying not to make any out of nature sounds.
"Allison... Stiles," Isaac sang pushing through the trees. "This is stupid just come out..." Jackson and Derek had went opposite ways as they fanned the area. "Come out. Come out. Wherever you are." He paused and shook his head. "That was cliche..." He stumbled over a rock and then a wire which deployed a trap that the humans set. "Shit."
"Did you hear that?" Allison asked and Stiles nods. "How long can we stay here? It's cold." Stiles grabbed her hand and let warmth travel through him to her.
"Isaac got one of the traps," Stiles explains.
Jackson was more careful. He found Stiles' flannel in the tree and knew it was a trap. He watched the ground for anything out of ordinary which how he saw the upcoming hole. He laughed and had to shake his head. He easily jumped over it and continued down through the trees. He listened to the trees and wind. For any breaks. He heard Isaac set off a trap which made him laugh more. He found a pair of footsteps and followed them.
"You know you guys probably shouldn't have split up, it would be easier for you to tackle the objective together," Jackson mocks. "Honestly, did you think I'd fall for the hole?"
"No, but I'd knew you'd fall for this," Stiles voice mocks back. "Have fun getting out of this one." The ground rose above Jackson tangling his limbs.
"Stiles," Jackson growled. "This is gonna ruin a very expensive pair of shoes." Stiles laugh echos around him. "Where are you?"
"Not here."
"I got Jackson," Stiles tells Allison. "He's tangled about four miles west. I can't find Derek though."
"What do you mean?" Allison frowned. "He should be out there."
"I know." Stiles held back a yelp of surprise when Derek pulled him off the ground. "How?"
"You didn't think I'd fall for your tricks? I know you Stiles," Derek rolled his eyes. "I knew before we even entered the woods that you'd set traps so I used my wolf form."
"I forgot you could do that," Stiles groaned. "Can you put me down?"
"No, you know that's not part of the game," Derek chuckled. "Get out yourself." Allison was looking for her gun. "You'd be dead by now if it wasn't me. I took your guns."
"Well, good thing that I set a protection spell on us," Stiles says. "Anything that hits us hits the person back." He swallowed. "So, if you try anything you get it. But, you won't."
"No you didn't," Derek shook his head.
"You wanna try?" Stiles asks. "That's up to you. I wouldn't though. Do you think I'd be stupid enough to not put one on us? We are human and you guys have heightened senses. I couldn't not do it." He could see Derek thinking. "You know it. I know it." He uses this time to kick himself off of Derek. He tried use magic but it didn't work. He tried again.
"I used an herb I found," Derek smiled. "You can't cast anymore spells until it wears off."
"I don't need magic," Stiles told himself that more than Derek. He saw the metal guns across the creek. "My protection spell is still on us though. You might have a better chance fighting that tree across the creek." Stiles gestures for Allison. "Unless you want to take a chance."
"You're smart Stiles," Derek shrugged. "But I think you know better than to use so much magic in one spot. It will be like a bigger beacon then the Nemeton."
"Not if I set a spell last night over the the town," Stiles says. "You think I wouldn't come here and not make sure no one could track me here? I don't want anyone getting hurt."
"I'm never gonna outsmart you am I?" Derek asked.
"Probably not," Stiles says. "I mean there's a chance you could. Obviously I'm not that smart. You know that. We both do. You could easily outsmart me in certain situations but is it this time? Who knows. I mean, how well do we know each other now? There's no real way of telling until you try right? But if you try you could be hurting yourself." Allison shot Derek making him drop Stiles. "Sorry."
"Damnit Stiles."
"What now?"
"We get the hell out of here!" Stiles said pulling her arm. They ran down the creek trying not to fall over the rocks. He helps Allison up over the side when it gets too high. "My foots stuck."
"What? How?" She groans. "Leave the shoe?"
"And run barefoot?"
"I don't know! But I want to win," she said. "Here." She threw her hand out and he grabbed it and helped him left his foot out, leaving the shoe. "We need to find somewhere dry before it gets to cold."
"Well if I had my jacket."
"How was I supposed to know that Derek was gonna poison me?" Stiles groaned. "They can't be far behind now. Jackson probably broke free of those vines minutes ago to meet Derek who is now getting out of shock from the electric. Isaac was already there. They are gonna make a plan and it's gonna get us now. Derek is pissed now."
"Well, what do we do?"
"We get high," Stiles looks up. "You get up that tree. I'm going this way." He points behind him. "Be ready." She nods starting up the tree. Stiles gets to a decent tree that seemed easy enough. "Stupid wolves making me climb trees and shit." He pulled himself high enough to sit forget that he was a little scared to be that high off the ground.
"Stiles," Jackson called. "We can hear you."
"You lost your shoe," Isaac says. "I've got it. I know you're uncomfortable by now. Let's just call it."
"You really think he's gonna show himself by doing this?" Derek asked. "Really?"
"No, but he's not gonna come out with you being a dick either," Jackson shrugged. "Just go that way, they can't have gotten that far, especially with Stiles not having a shoe or magic."
"I'm gonna stay this way," Isaac says. "Just in case they run you know. You guys go."
"Good point," Derek nods. He and Jackson continue down the creek.
"Okay, Stiles, how did you get all the way up there?" Isaac asked looking up at the kid in the branch.
"I climbed? How else would I get up here? Why did you tell them I was up here?" Stiles asked. "Why aren't you trying to get me?"
"Because I have your shoe and you're gonna come down on your own," Isaac shrugs.
"Am not. I'm winning this," Stiles says and the wind blows around him causing the tree to sway. He held tighter. "Not coming down until you surrender to the dark side."
"Really? You are the dark side? I am having a hard time picturing that," Isaac says. "You are the resistance and you know it." Stiles usually would swoon over a hot guy talking Star Wars but he was trying so hard not to fall. "Let's go Princess Leia."
"One, that is rude," Stiles shook his head. "But I guess I can't complain. Leia is a badass and could rock your shit."
"Are you really staying up there?" Isaac asks.
"Yes."
"Fine," Isaac rose a brow and pushed the tree. "I wonder how long you could stay up there while I do this." He shook the tree a little more. "I could throw stuff." He picked up a rock throwing it past Stiles. He threw another one which hit Stiles arm. Stiles let out a growl type noise. "Calm down, I'm the wolf."
"I'll kill you."
"No you won't," Isaac laughed. "If you just come down this can be over and we can get food."
    "Contrary to popular belief, food isn't always the way to get me to do something. In this particular moment, I don't want food," Stiles says. "But good try."
    "Stiles, you are gonna get stuck," Isaac sighed. "Come down."
    "I might be stuck already. Who knows. I am just gonna stay up here," Stiles says. "It's homely."
    "Well everything else is down here," Isaac said. "You're gonna miss out on a lot. Like, you said you wanted to go to Comic Con again, can't do that up there. You can't make me watch anymore of the Star Wars movies or any of that cartoon stuff."
     "What is Stiles doing in a tree?" Jackson came behind Isaac with Derek and Allison.
    "He got himself up there and now he won't get down because he's scared," Isaac explains. "What happened to you guys?" He gestured to Derek and Jackson's dirtiness.
     "Stiles, we won!" Allison called. "You can come down."
    "That's great. Well, you guys get going back it's cold and you know," Stiles looked around. "Yeah."
    "Stiles get down or I'm climbing up there and pushing you," Derek said."
    "No," Stiles said.
    "You're acting like a kid."
    "Stiles," Jackson rolled his eyes. "Expensive shoes remember? You have to buy me new ones now so get down here."
     "Money is in the Jeep."
     "Okay, I'm going up there," Derek rolled his eyes. "Don't ruin any more of your 'expensive shoes'." He started up the tree. "Let's go Stiles."
    "Derek! Don't fucking touch me."
    "I told you."
    "No."
    "Stiles let go."
    "Don't touch me."
    "Stiles."
    "He's coming," Derek called. Stiles fumbled down the tree quickly as Derek followed. "Keep going."
     "I am going as fast as I can dick," Stiles gripped the tree breaking for a moment.
     "You're are literally seven feet from the ground! You won't even get hurt," Derek said then pushed Stiles. Who fell to the ground.
     "You pushed me!" Stiles yells as Isaac helped him up. "You pushed me from a tree!"
     "I did."
     "I could've gotten hurt?" Stiles looks at the others. "No one is gonna back this up?"
     "Stiles, you weren't that high," Jackson laughed. "And Derek wouldn't let you fall and get hurt. Look, you're okay. Isaac is helping you off the ground."
     "Isaac?"
     "He did push you," Isaac nods. "But, you're okay. Right? I mean, did it hurt?"
    "Yes it hurt! I hit my back," Stiles sighed.
    "Well, after we meet with Scott and the pack, we can go back to your place. Relax. Watch Star Wars," Isaac rubbed his shoulder. "We can ice your back."
    "Gross," Jackson said. "This is like mediocre, amateur porn."
    "Shut up," Allison hit him. "Are you okay?"
    "I'm fine," Stiles nods. "Let's get back to others. Jax..." Jackson rose a brow. "Carry me."
    "I am not gonna carry you," Jackson laughed.
    "Pleeeeaaaaaasssseee," Stiles whines. "Jaxx."
    "Just do it," Derek rubbed his head.
    "Are you serious?"
    "I only have one shoe!"
    "Dude, you know he won't stop," Isaac laughs.
    "Fine." Stiles climbs onto Jackson's back wrapping his arms around his neck. "You owe me."
    "Put it on my tab," Stiles shrugged.