Chapter 2

Stiles had been on the road for exactly eighteen hours before he got to Lydia's house. It was a small home nothing compared to hers. But, it was homely. He gave the neighbors a slight wave before pulling the key out. Lydia let her father know that someone would be staying there for at least a night. In Martin fashion, he didn't care what she did or who it was. He made sure not to disrupt anything in the home as he looked at the pictures covering the walls. Most of them are from separate families. Stiles could point out Lydia's young father and her uncle. There were more pictures of children than anyone. It was only until Stiles came across a school picture that he realized it was Lydia and her cousins. There were only two Martin brothers from what he gathered. Lydia's father only has Lydia and his brother has two sons. Stiles also realizes that all of Lydia's pictures after the age of seven are school pictures. She never saw her father after the divorce so why would she see his parents? It was clear though, that they took pride in her. Any piece they received, they hung on the wall. It was like the hall of fame. She would definitely approve. Stiles took the time to shower and brush his teeth in an actual. sink. His body was sore from being in the car for so long.

   He skimmed through the pages of Deaton's book, hoping to learn something new. Which he did. There were so many creatures out there. that Stiles did not know of.  Ranging in sizes and dangers. Warlocks being the most powerful over all magic yielding ones. He wondered what it would be like to be magical. To yield magic instead of being the one running from it. According to the book, Warlocks are born. No one made a warlock, which made sense. You can't force magic into anyone.  The book also said that the Warlock population significantly dropped in the 1600's then again in the 1800's. Making them almost endangered. A warlock's power can vary, depending on age, activity, and who they were descended from. There was no tell for a Warlock, so the only way to know is if you caught them in the act. Many witches try to kill Warlocks in hopes of becoming the supreme sex. There were different types of magic as well. Dark magic that could only be yielded by someone who makes a blood sacrifice. Stronger the magic comes with the younger the age. Regular magic could be made stronger with supplements and prayer. Sex magic could only be done if you have a strong, intimate connection. Virgin magic was the strongest if raw power came from within. Stiles also read that Warlocks were descendants of Lucifer himself and a heavenly figure, which is where their power came from. So, much like fae, they were both heavenly and demonic.

   "Jesus," Stiles mumbled, closing the book. "I hope I never come across one of those." He threw the book to the side looking around the small guest bedroom. The sun was setting finally and porch lights were being turned on. Old couples were walking the streets together. It was quiet in the neighborhood. No cars were in the streets. Stiles' jeep was still the sore thumb. A knock on the door pounded through the home. "Hello?" He opened the door.

    "Just making sure no one was breaking into the house," a woman said. "Who are you, wolf?"

    "Wha?" He was caught off guard. "I am not a wolf? What are you talking about? Wolves are animals. I am clearly human. See?" He rubbed his neck. "Unless you mean like those werewolves on TV. With the fur and the fangs? Gnarly, but not me. Look at me. Don't have any of those."

    "Do not mess with me," she hissed. "I smell it on you. That and the overwhelming smell of anxiety on you. Your heart rate also jumped when you lied about wolves. So, again tell me, what are you doing here wolf?"

    "Um, I am making my way to Kansas," He explains. "But, I am not a wolf. My friends were wolves. Not me. I am lanky and  fragile. All bone."  He made a flailing move. "I am sure by the sound of my heart rate you can tell I am not lying." He bit his lip.  "I am sorry if it seemed I intruded."

   "Okay," she says. "Seems you are human. But, if any of your wolf friends come here, this will be an entirely different greeting." She gave him a look. "Do not bring trouble here. Whatever you're fleeing from better not come here."