Chapter 25

JIN

"Taehyung, wait!" Jin gets up and ends up knocking the high chair he was sitting on- it falling down with a clang.

Jin winces, hoping the chair didn't disintegrate. Ken puts his arm on Jin's shoulder.

"You go, I will handle it".

Jin gives him a grateful nod and runs towards the backdoor that Taehyung went through.

The door opens to an alley lit from one small lightbulb, illuminating a broken bicycle and smoke coming from the kitchen chimney.

Taehyung is leaning against the brick wall opposite, eyes closed but Jin can feel the nervousness coming from his body.

He starts stepping closer to Taehyung.

"Do you not like me now?" The words are uttered in a whisper by Taehyung.
Jin almost could have missed it if not for his strong hearing.

"Why would you think that?"

"You are so...", Taehyung's voice is sad, doubtful. "Rich. Pretty. You are everything. While I am so...I don't have enough money. I have to clean in a small cafe and m-my parents, they work menial jobs".

Why would Taehyung think this way about himself? It's not like during their short friendship- money ever mattered. And Jin's parents' business didn't define him- they weren't even that rich to begin with. They were just an example of a classic family with both parents working and one of them a businessman.

If anyone should be insecure, it should be Jin. Perhaps Taehyung didn't have enough money, but he had so many friends and he was so popular. People genuinely liked him.

"TaeTae, please don't think like that. Money doesn't matter at all to me. We are still good friends whether you have enough money or not". Jin says, stepping closer.

Taehyung shakes his head, tears pricking the corner of his eyes in fear, vulnerability.

It was the kind of moment that would perhaps be the start or end of a new chapter. Relationship.

Except they were just friends, Jin thought.

"You don't understand. My parents, t-they are very poor. My father works in the laundry of a hotel and my mother is a nanny to this rich family kid a-and I work here. And it's not like I am the barista or the waiter. No, I am the cleaner. Your parents, w-when they talked to me at your place during dinner- I probably gave them the idea that I was well off. And your Jungkook hyung already seems to hate me so much". The words are said in a ramble, accompanying a stutter here and there.

"Taehyung, no. I don't care what jobs your parents do. Why should I care? Its not like I am the one doing the work, right? Your parents are working hard, you are working hard. And about my parents- please don't think about them this way. They already are so fond of you. My mother likes you a lot. Your parents' job or your job isn't going to change that. And about hyung....well, he is like that nowadays. But if you had met him a few days ago...he would have been more open to you, I swear. And I.....I like you a lot too. We are... good friends. Nothing is going to change that".

Taehyung looks at Jin and his sad eyes turn relieved. He immediately pulls Jin into a hug, holding onto his waist tightly. Jin wraps his arms around Taehyung's neck slowly- surprised at the sudden action.

Earlier, when the chimney smoke had been annoying him and the alley had seemed a bit too dark- now looked better. A bit more bright. Perhaps it was because of Taehyung's arms around him.

"Do all your other friends know?" Jin whispers and Taehyung nods against his neck.

Breaking the hug, Jin flicks Taehyung on his forehead.