Chapter 39

Shadows from the buildings laid on the paths. They ran straight ahead. A barn couldn't be that hard to find. Especially one large enough to hold a dragon. The town was silent. No lights gleamed from windows. The only thing awake were some stray cats that roamed the streets. Disgusting creatures Theodosia thought.

Ahead, A large building towered over them. Two big wooden doors attached to the front. This had to be it. Theodosia inched along the barn wall trying to be as quiet as possible. Her stomach fluttered with fear. She could hear the dragon breathing from inside the rusty barn. She looked back at Shaye behind her who nodded. They were at the door.

Theodosia's breath quickened as she clutched the hilt of her sword until her knuckles were white. Stop it! She scolded herself, It's just a dragon. She gulped a dragon that could end your life in one swift bite. Theodosia peeked around the corner. The dragon was sleeping, its powerful body rising and falling with each breath. Blades ran along its tail, longer and sharper than the ones on the last dragon. She could tell the beast was strong by the size of its massive wings. Theodosia glanced back at Shaye, terror jolting through her as well. Shaye gave her a look that said too late now. And Theodosia turned her body back to the dragon. She was right, she came too far to give up now. She pulled her sword out of its silver and black sheath and took shaky steps towards the dragon. Trying to forget her fear for just a moment. She stepped over the curled spiky tail, resting on the dirt-covered floor.

"It's now or never," Shaye whispered to Theodosia.

Theodosia looked at the dragon, chills traveling down her spine. Its black scaly skin gleamed in the soft moonlight, sharp daggers running along its spine. Its razor-edged teeth poking out of its black and red lips. Theodosia took another step forward when she heard a small snap. She looked down, frozen with mind-bending fear. Her nightmare came true with one small movement. Theodosia froze, terrified as she slowly turned her head upwards. Oh no. The dragon opened its huge black eyes, staring deep into her soul. As if it was reading her mind, her thoughts. It lifted its massive head, its body shifting through the barn.

"Theodosia, I think it's time to go," Shaye whispered from behind her.

She couldn't move. She just stood there as the dragon slowly awakened, rising, spreading its wings.

"Theodosia!" Shaye yelled, "We gotta get out of here."

Theodosia forced herself to move. Backing away slowly. A low growl rumbled in the dragon's throat. She felt a hand on her back.

"Theodosia, run," Shaye commanded.

The dragon roared, snapping Theodosia out of her senses. She could feel its hot breath on her back as she ran past Shaye flying out of the door. This one wasn't as nice as Abraxos.

Theodosia looked back when she was out of the building.

"Shaye?" Theodosia called out, still shaking. There was no answer.

"Shaye!"

Theodosia's eyes widened. Was she... gone?

With a crash, the dragon flew out of the barn with a sickening roar. Theodosia jumped, terrified.

It swooped towards her, getting closer and closer. She heard a battle cry from on top of the beast. Shaye.

Her excitement outweighed her fear as the dragon landed before her, Shaye grinning as she hopped down.

"How did you...," Theodosia stuttered.

Shaye shrugged, "I'm good with dragons."

Theodosia let out a laugh.

"Thank the gods you are."

+++++++++

Jack followed behind Samuel as he walked in. There was no way Samuel was going somewhere and he wasn't. The woman was young, maybe 16 or 17 years old. She had pale fine features and black straight hair. She talked quietly.

"Can't a brother stop and say hi to their sister?" Samuel pulled out a chair and sat down.

"I don't want to speak to you," She shared standing in front of Samuel.

"I see how it is. You are still mad about something that happened years ago."

"You shouldn't have done it. Time doesn't erase what you did. You weren't thinking," her voice got louder, stronger.

"You could have... I wasn't going to watch you lay there and die," Samuel stood, shoving the chair away.

"You should have let me die. You can't just throw your powers away like it's nothing. You have no powers anymore, no magic."

"I did it for you, Astrid! You were in bed for weeks! You couldn't stand, you barely ate or spoke. I saved you."

The girl brushed her hair back with a hand. A fae ear poked out from beneath her rich black hair.

"How do you think it feels? How do you think I feel each day with powers too strong for my body. You didn't save me. You turned me into a monster."

"You aren't a monster," Samuel spoke with a lower voice.

"You wouldn't know that. You weren't here. You have no idea the number of lives I've taken. The main others have suffered because of me."

Samuel didn't respond to that. He looked at her, at his sister. Anyone could tell she was in pain. Alone.

"I-I'm going to Fenharrow, I wanted to say hi since I was around."

"How's Maelyn?" the woman asked.

"She died. She attended the ball and pirates killed her."

Samuel turned around before Astrid got a chance to respond. Jack didn't speak as they made their way outside. He shouldn't have meddled in their conversation but he asked anyway.

"What happened?" Jack asked as they got on the horses.

"She was dying, I tried to save her, she got mad at me anyway."

What was she talking about when she said people died because of her?"

"We are both half-fae. She became ill and was dying. I gave her my powers to make her strong enough to fight it off. Her body was overwhelmed with both our powers so she gets random outbursts and they kill people."

"Who's Maelyn?"

"So now you want to speak to me?"

Jack didn't say anything. A huge shadow soared over them. The moonlight that shined on them was black. Above them hovered a huge dragon. Now they really needed to go.

Jack and Samuel pulled on the reins to their horses. The dragon soared ahead of them. They got smaller and smaller until they faded away into the night sky. A long journey awaited them. Jack wasn't looking forward to it, especially with Samuel.

Jack glanced at the stars above them. Endless stars and night sky. He would've admired it longer if they weren't on a mission. They were all at risk. He had heard the legends about the wyrdkeys. They could open other dimensions. They could bring demons to their world. They could do endless things. He hoped everyone made it out. No what-ifs he told himself. They have to all make it out.