Chapter 36

Shaye took a deep breath in. The barrier was broken, it was time to leave. She wondered who would be on the other side. Who would greet her when she woke. For whatever reason, she had been boiling herself. Shaye used the ice from the core of her powers to stop herself from burning herself from the inside out. She walked through the tear that had grown in size. It felt like days of waiting there for the tears to grow. She saw Theodosia not long ago. She came through a dark hallway, but Shaye couldn't reach her. The barrier was too thick. Before she could even speak to Theodosia, she was pulled away by a source of evil from the deepest depths of her imagination. Now that the barrier was broken, they could see each other once again. Shaye noticed a white light in her pitch dark prison. It was her way out. She smiled, excitement bubbling up inside her.

The second she stepped through the rip in the void, she felt an instant change. Shaye felt herself go back into her body. Freezing, Shaye thawed the ice on her and prepared herself as she opened her eyes. She never thought she'd be back, never thought she would see her again. Theodosia.

Shaye wanted to say something but she didn't have a chance to.

"You look like crap," Theodosia said as she flung herself to hug Shaye.

She finally was back. She was where she should be. She was home.

+++++++++

Tears streamed down her face. Theodosia never knew how much pain and happiness she could feel at the same time. She embraced her friend, her person, her family. Shaye let out a small laugh as Theodosia let go. Shaye took her time pushing herself to sit on the side of the mattress. There was so much light everywhere, so much happiness. Shaye took a deep breath.

"This is real, right?"

"It better be, I was going insane without you, " Theodosia remarked, wiping her tears.

"What happened to me?" Shaye asked leaning back, exhausted.

"You tell me. You wouldn't wake up and you were burning up for over 2 weeks. You were in one of my dreams. I tried reaching you but you were pulled away."

"Two weeks? Where are Noelle and Ansel? What happened with the wyrdkey?"

"Don't think about that right now. I thought you were gone. I thought you were going to never wake up."

"What happened to you?" Theodosia asked, leaning back onto the mattress beside Shaye.

Shaye signed ready to share it all, ready to face what happened.

"I remember opening my eyes to a white void. I remember seeing the ball and Nikolas proposing to me. I ran out of the ball and you and Noelle took me to the cabin. A voice said this is how it should've been and then everything went away."

"Woah, Woah, Woah, who's Nikolas?"

"Ren Allsbrook's son. What do you mean, you were there."

"There was no Nikolas, I was only there for one song and then Turner...," Theodosia stopped, she knew Turner was a touchy subject.

"Then Turner what?" Shaye asked, confused.

"You know what happened, he died and we ran away. You were crying for days after it happened," Theodosia explained.

Something wasn't right. Why was she talking about a proposal? Shaye hadn't lost her memory but some stuff she was saying never happened.

"I don't know a Turner. There was one that is Chaol's son but I never really spoke to him."

Theodosia had no words. What the hell happened? Maybe something else could help her understand why Shaye couldn't remember Turner.

"Did anything else happen?" Theodosia asked, hopefully getting more useful information.

"There was this moment where a voice kept telling me to bring two men back. One of them was Kai and the other was some member of the Ardarlan's guard."

Turner. She saw Turner, it had to be him.

"There was some new power in me that brought them back to life. I couldn't speak to them because I heard your voice and whoever healed me. When I looked again, both men were gone."

"You don't remember knowing a Turner?" Theodosia interrupted, trying to be sure that Shaye was missing some memories.

"No, who is he to you?" Shaye questioned.

"H-He was your boyfriend. He was the love of your life. He died the night of the ball protecting us."

The look on Shaye's face clearly showed that she had no idea who he was or what she was saying. Theodosia wanted to learn more but she couldn't push Shaye. She had been through enough for the day.

They both signed trying to process everything they experienced. Shaye being around was the first step to getting things back to normal. They would come up with a way to help Noelle.

"Noelle is my sister," Theodosia mumbled, ready for another storm of emotions.

"Rolfe got her pregnant with Noelle. They left Skull's Bay but she was pregnant with me. Rolfe had pirates kidnap her. He kept her captive and when I was born, he sent her away. Noelle left with Ansel a while ago to go to Briarcliff."

"And you haven't heard anything from her since?"

"No," Theodosia mumbled.

Theodosia stood up and started for the door. She knew that Shaye needed lots of sleep, exhaustion burned in her eyes.

"Theodosia?" Shaye asked, laying on the makeshift bed.

Theodosia stopped to turn around as if to ask what?

"Are you and Jack...?"

Theodosia turned, rolling her eyes.

She missed this, Theodosia missed her.