Chapter 7

Shaye finally pushed the handle she had been holding the whole time while talking to Turner. The long table was only full at one end. Rowan sat at the edge of the table, her mother to the left. She saw Lorcan, Elide, Dorian, and Manon also seated at the table. Lysandra must have been arriving late. She always comes late. Everyone's eyes were focused on her. She prayed her parents could not hear her previous conversation as she could hear theirs. She smiled at the people seated before getting straight to the point.

"Is it true that you lost a wyrdkey?" Shaye accused her mother and her mother only.

Rowan looked at Aelin. He did not look mad. He showed a face of disappointment and worry.

"Fireheart, how did this even happen? You told me that Rolfe took some random valuables from you," Rowan expressed calmly trying not to raise his voice to his queen.

Shaye did not expect her father not to know. Aelin faced Rowan.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you. The only people that knew were Lysandra and Manon."

"Actually," Manon interrupted.

"I told Dorian and I'm pretty sure Lysandra told Aedion at some point. Lorcan was also eavesdropping when you told Lysandra, and blurted it out to Turner."

Elide looked to Lorcan with a face asking how could you. Manon continued to speak.

"Don't worry Rowan. Shaye has Rolfe's daughter and that little pirate will eventually crack."

"She is dead. Theodosia is dead. When she ran, she got killed by some animal. Shaye buried her before she returned."

"Can you ever tell us anything, Aelin? We could help if we knew what was happening. We might have even won the war quicker if you stopped hiding things from us. Do you even have a plan to fix this?," Lorcan roared, a fire of anger burned in his chest.

"You do not speak to your queen that way," Rowan asserted as he rose to stand.

"I do not," Aelin muttered.

Lorcan stood before speaking out to Rowan. The two start arguing over who knows what. They were raising their voices over each other so no words were illegible. Shaye was almost positive she heard Lorcan call Rowan a dumb nugget.

"Here we go again," Manon commented, under her breath.

Manon looked at Elide as if to say really, this guy? Elide rolled her eyes. Aelin faced Manon with sorrow in her eyes. What are we going to do her eyes asked, desperately? Manon did not know, but she was confident that they would figure out a way. Annoyed by Lorcan and Rowan doing their fae territorial nonsense, Manon picked up her plate and left the room. Elide followed but did not bring her food.

Aelin stood up and walked to pull Shaye aside from all the drama.

"I do not want you to worry. You should be worrying about something else. Like the ball maybe?"

So everyone did hear the conversation between her and Turner. Just great.

"I just want to help in some way. I won't be able to sleep knowing a wyrdkey could be anywhere."

"We will all be fine. Go to bed, my dear. I'm excited to see what you pick to wear to the ball."

Shaye's pale skin when hot red. Her mother thankfully turned around before seeing it. As her mom returned to the table, Shaye could see her mother sit back in her chair and smile as if to enjoy the argument between Rowan and Lorcan. Shaye walked out of the dining hall listening to the sound of her father and Lorcan still fighting. Even after knowing each other for hundreds of years, burning cities to the ground, and even fighting in a war together, the two fae males could not make it a whole hour without getting into an argument.

Shaye changed into her nightclothes. She braided her hair and washed her face. She rested her head on the silk pillowcase, cold to the touch. It was only a moment before she fell into a deep slumber dreaming of what she would wear to the ball.

+++++++++

Theodosia lifted her chin up and narrowed her eyes. Noelle. She wasn't sure if she could even trust Noelle. And she could not trust the brute sitting in her arms. Theodosia stepped down from the latter, watching the animal closely.

"Well, aren't you going to tell me your name?" Noelle asked.

"No."

"What about where you're from?"

"Absolutely not."

"So I don't have a lot to work with here." the girl voiced with a chuckle.

Theodosia smiled sarcastically.

"As much fun this has been since this barn has been occupied by...,"

She stopped for a moment looking at the pup.

"Savages, I really must be going."

Theodosia started walking but stumbled, her drowsiness sending pain throughout her head.

"Are you okay?" Noelle asked.

"I'm fine," Theodosia lied, attempting to hide her weakness.

"No, you're not, I'm taking you inside."

Theodosia sighed, her eyes heavy.

"I told you, I'm...."

"Shhhhhhhh."

Theodosia woke in a large bed with dark blue sheets. The sun was radiating through a nearby window and felt nice against her face. That was the best sleep in her life. She never wanted to get up. Theodosia's eyes fluttered open and she saw the redhead sitting next to her. Noelle? Yes, that was her name, Noelle.

"Good, you're awake," Noelle rejoiced with a little clap of her hand.

"What happened?" Theodosia asked.

"You passed out," Noelle informed her cheerfully.

"Oh."

"You must've been tired."

"I guess."

"Do you remember Hercules?"

"Who?"

A furry little pup leaped up onto the bed, its tongue rolling out of its mouth.

"Get that thing away from me," Theodosia hissed as she backed up against the wall.

"Don't worry he won't hurt you."

The little mutt walked over to her and sat on her lap. Theodosia fought the urge to scream as the little thing let out a small bark. Noelle took Hercules off the bed and smiled when Theodosia let out a sigh of relief.

"Where did you journey from?"

"Orynth."

"Were you there for the ball?"

Theodosia cocked her head and the corner of her mouth twitched into a half-smile.

"Ball?"

"Yes it's happening in a few days, it is supposed to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the end of the war."

"Really?"

"I was planning on going. You could come too if you're up to it."

"Maybe I will."